VMF-214 Blacksheep patch, What time period?

khaki1941

Trying to determine the time period of this VMF-214 patch.

Fully embroidered. Hope the photos are good enough to determine time period.

Many thanks,

Howard

post-389-0-86568600-1395527152.jpg

post-389-0-45301200-1395527175.jpg

I believe the designation changed from VMF(fighter) to VMA(Attack) in July of 1957 and they went on to serve into the 60s as well as VMA 214

There was a time also in the 1950s they were VMFAW(All Weather).If you search the net for VMA 214 you will see a history on them and tha aircraft they fly.The VMA 214 designation was carried through the War on Terror as well.

I could be wrong but the embroidery on the back of the patch on the diagonal black stripe looks like modern computer stitching.

the pictures aren't good enough for me to be sure so take it for what its worth!

It looks different from the other post because the patch in that previous post is WWII vintage. Agree with JD, this is from the very late 50's or 60's period. Notice by that time they were using the sheep with horns, which is still in use today. Interesting thing about this patch, it is also made to read VMF-214. Exact same patch and manufacture with the other logo. I was told that the VMF-214 version of the patch was made for a reunion. It would almost make sense at a 20th reunion? Anyone else hear that? Semper Fi - Jeff

I could be wrong but the embroidery on the back of the patch on the diagonal black stripe looks like modern computer stitching.

the pictures aren't good enough for me to be sure so take it for what its worth

Thats what I was also thinking.Maybe more modern in construction