Garrison Caps & Devices

Tim B

I was recently researching details regarding the various Coast Guard devices to find out information relating to the miniature CPO cap anchors used on the garrison style cap. I didn't find much directly relating to the Coast Guard, but figured as they were part of the Navy in war time, then the uniform regulations probably modeled one another.

I'll post some of that information in this thread, as well as in a separate thread in the Coast Guard section, as applicable. As some of the information I found appeared inaccurate between sources, I will post references in the actual thread when it applies.

- The Navy first authorized the garrison cap, as optional, in February 1943. At that time, the Navy used the same (size) CPO anchor on the garrison cap as it did currently for the combination cover. I read a vague comment that the decision for the garrison cap and actual directive came out in January, but I could not find anything.

Here's a page from the Bureau of Naval Personnel Information Bulletin dated February 1943. I read that Adm. Halsey was a big fan of the garrison cap.

post-50776-0-21520500-1395459449.jpg

Not sure if anyone remembers the story of Radioman First Class Tweed, the guy who hid out on Guam when the Japanese first invaded the island in 1941. They made a movie about him in the 60's with Jeffrey Hunter playing Tweed. Anyway, thought I would add some bio on his story as it shows a neat example of the large CPO anchor being worn on the garrison cap.

Hell of a story!

post-50776-0-02373900-1395459857.jpg

Though the article is dated in the September issue, I believe the photo is prior to that. Tweed was rescued in July 1944 and I think this photo falls sometime between July and September of that year.

post-50776-0-51646800-1395460085.jpg

More on Tweed:

Here's why I think the photo was earlier;

- In BuPers Circular Ltr No. 97-44, the Secretary of the Navy approved a miniature chief petty officer cap device approximately three-fourths the size of the present cap device used on the combination cover, and the U.S. Navy Uniform Regulations pertaining to chief petty officers was changed to read as follows:

"Chief petty officers shall wear a miniature chief petty officer cap device on the left side of the cap, 2 inches from the front edge".

post-50776-0-14806400-1395460212.jpg

In the next month's issue of the bulletin, Tweed was awarded the Legion of Merit and promoted to Warrant. Talk about fast track!

post-50776-0-14473700-1395460490.jpg

I don't have any miniature CPO devices as of yet and would like to see some examples from those that might want to post them here. The thread is general in nature, so really any garrison caps and/or devices (officer, CPO, etc.) from the period would add to the thread.

Some more info:

- Beginning 1 June 1947, the blue and white garrison caps were discontinued for all male naval personnel. On 5 June '47, the uniform regulations were again revised and chapter 6 (Chief Petty Officers) listed garrison caps as optional (6-12) for the Gray, Working Khaki, and Aviation Winter Green uniforms unless the combination cap was prescribed. Garrison caps were to match the corresponding uniform in color and material. It also called out that a miniature cap device was to be used on the left side.

- Regarding Cap insignia, chapter 9 of the 1947 Uniform Regulations discussed cap devices for Chief Petty Officers, Chief Cooks, and Chief Stewards.

(9-40) The large pin-on cap device shall consist of a gold foul anchor with silver letters "USN" superimposed on the shank. It shall be made of metal with appropriate plating to simulate gold or silver. The device shall be of a size to be inscribed in a circle 1-5/8" in diameter. It shall be centered on the mount of the combination cap band.

(9-41) The miniature pin-on cap device shall be of the same design as the large cap device. It shall be of a size to be inscribed in a circle 1¼" in diameter. On the garrison cap it shall be worn on the left side, approximately 2" from the front edge and 1½" from the bottom edge of the cap. It shall be centered on the front of the tropical helmet.

That's all I have for now but will be tying some of this into the Coast Guard section as well.

Post those examples!!! B)

Very informative, thanks for posting. This is the first I've seen in writing that Naval Aviators were required to wear wings on their garrison caps. Now I have to go back and change all the entries in the Museum's database for miniature wings...

Hi Grant,

Thanks for reading! I might suggest two things here.

First, I'll add a link to the Navy All Hands magazines (they were called Bureau of Naval Personnel Information Bulletins initially) and you can possibly check prior and post issues to see IF that changed. I like to include sources to prove the information I am adding/discussing BUT, the actual regulation/directive/instruction is the real authority when it comes to these things. Sometimes, the word got out wrong, sometimes things were revised. Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.navy.mil/ah_online/department_arch.html

They changed the format and it's much easier to navigate now. Lot's of good infomation in these if you're patient to get through them all. Enjoy!

The second point I would make is, regs changed and it appears back during this timeframe regs were revised often and minor points refined. So, make sure whatever you're changing is appropriate to the actual time frame to the item.

Tim

Thanks for the link and the advice. We are a WWII-only museum, so I only include notes pertinent to that era. However what you say is right, it's possible that later on it changed (well, I KNOW it changed, I just don't know if it changed during the war). I'll see if I can find out. I have to make a judgement call when I catalog stuff - I'm not trying to write a history of every item, just provide notes that might be useful to a curator trying to put together an exhibit. When wings were allowed on Navy garrison caps is something that, in my opinion, even WWII experts may not know. For that matter, I don't know when the Army stopped doing it either! This is where I fall back on my "I'm just a poor museum volunteer" excuse...

:lol:

Check out the 1947 US Navy Uniform Regulations and see what that says on the subject. At least if it didn't change by then, you don't have to look further.

Tim

:lol:

Check out the 1947 US Navy Uniform Regulations and see what that says on the subject. At least if it didn't change by then, you don't have to look further.

Tim

Here is my example from a named grouping for a WW2 vet. The larger one is from a Combination Cover(visor)

post-4249-0-81386900-1396217839.jpg

Hi Paul,

Great example here and I see your CG garrison cover emblem appears to match my CG example in the way the sterling mark is offset in letter placement. Perhaps your device is also a Blackinton example? Check out the one I show in the Coast Guard section http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/196521-coast-guard-cpo-cap-devices/page-2 (starting around post # 21) and I think you'll agree.

Tim