Hollow Navigator Wings

robert60446

robert60446

Hi guys,

I just have landed these new hollow Navigator wings. Anyone can post here your pinback hollow version of this variant?

post-2829-1211811243.jpg

Hi Robert,

I think these wings are the classic "issue" or graduation wings provided by the government to the navigators once the passed the navigation school and were issued wings. SInce these were government issue, the companies that provided them were bound by the government contract, which mandated that these wings were to be made as clutch back. I dont think I have ever seen this pattern of wing that was made in a pin back configuration. Of course, one knows never to say never, but....

Patrick

robert60446
I dont think I have ever seen this pattern of wing that was made in a pin back configuration. Of course, one knows never to say never, but....

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

That's exactly what got me puzzled, I’m wondering if pinback version exists...knowing my luck, I bet someone is going to post hollow pinback variant to tease me... :lol:

I have seen these in a variety of ratings, pilot, navigator, aircrew, glider, service, etc. Never in a pin back the best I can recall. But, it is possible.

Patrick

John Cooper

Hi Robert,

Here is a slight variation not pin back but not hollow either. This appears to be the same pattern but different forcer... As you can see from the reverse photo... the hardware is hand attached as is typical of the period.

Cheers

John

ginavlh0.jpg

ginav1el9.jpg

robert60446

HI John, Thanks for posting you wings, I agree nice variant. At this point I’m positive the same obverse die design was used to produce your wings. Only manufacturing method was different. My variant is die stamped and yours is die cast made. Great wings by the way…;-)

I have never seen a factory version of this wing in a pinback. I have seen a jeweller modified wing that had been changed from clutch to pinback however.

Gary

robert60446

Here is something what i call "Semi Hollow" Navigator wings. And based on patent number from those clutches I have learned that this specific patent number was issued on January 12, 1943 by US Patent office. It makes me wonder if we can draw a time line here for all these variants…

post-2829-1211940190.jpg

John Cooper

Robert,

The patent was applied for in May 13, 1942 and issued on jan 12, 1943 to F.A. Ballou JR and Melvin Moore. This date happens to be in the same time frame as the wing I posted 43-44.

The wing you posted according to a fellow collector friend of mine is from the 1945 period. He mentioned that to save money they altered the process so that the sterling that went into my wing was able to make two wings like yours.

BTW the clutches can sometimes help but not always since you do not know when the clutches were attached... i.e. replacments. I have bought a wing listed as post war beause of the clutches (dimppled type) and the wing was WW II!

Cheers

John