• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

CVG/W and COMCARGRU's Air Groups, Air Wings & Carrier Groups

WE TRY HARDER - Unknown CVW patch, Vietnam War for ID

Another Carrier Air Group Five "Going Downtown"? Any guesses

As I'm sure you are aware, this one has been floating around, no pun intended, for a long time. Been ID as Army or Navy.

I have one of these and would love a solid answer

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link Bearmon,

I'm still thinking a Navy Carrier Air Group, not USAF, based upon the rainbow arrows coming from the sea. More than one CVG uses the rainbow in their heraldry so the search continues for a positive ID on this one.

Thanks for the link Bearmon,

I'm still thinking a Navy Carrier Air Group, not USAF, based upon the rainbow arrows coming from the sea. More than one CVG uses the rainbow in their heraldry so the search continues for a positive ID on this one.

I always thought the same. I was just saying what others have said. Ive also heard it was an Army AVN unit, but I don’t think so.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098

USS KITTY HAWK (CVA-63) WESTPAC 1972 Vietnam Combat Cruise https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv63-72/index.html

Carrier Air Wing 11

RVAH-7

VA-52

VAW-114

VF-114

VAQ-135

VA-192

VA-195

VF-213

HC-1 Det. 1

CVA 63 USS KITTY HAWK Air Wing 11 Westpac 1972 001.jpg

CVA 63 USS KITTY HAWK Air Wing 11 Westpac 1972 002.jpg

• 1 month later...

Air Wing 7

post-582-0-97780300-1395435898.jpg

They were attached to the USS George Washington CVN-73 when I was aboard, tailcode AG.

*SEMPER FORTIS*

USN '92-'96 USS GEORGE WASHINGTON CVN-73

HONOR*COURAGE*COMMITMENT

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Carrier Division One - COMCARDIV 1, US SEVENTH FLEET (TF-77) In the early years of the Vietnam War Carrier Division 1 comprised USS Yorktown (CV-10), USS Hornet (CV-12), and USS Hancock (CV-19), all Essex class carriers assigned to Yankee Station

Carrier Division One 001.jpg

Carrier Division One 002.jpg

• 1 month later...

CARRIER DIVISION 2 (CarDiv2) Established in 1931, now Carrier Strike Group 2 (CSG-2)

During the Second World War, aircraft carriers assigned to Carrier Division Two participated in the Doolittle Raid, the Battle of Midway, the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands, Operation Hailstone, the Battle of the Philippine Sea, and the Battle of Leyte Gulf, as well as the Solomon Islands campaign, the Gilbert and Marshall Islands campaign, the Hollandia and Western New Guinea campaign, the Philippines Campaign, the Mariana and Palau Islands campaign, the Iwo Jima campaign, and the Okinawan campaign, as part of the Navy's Fast Carrier Task Force. Rear Admiral Frederick C. Sherman commanded the division in 1943 while it was operating with the Fast Carrier Task Force.
On 1 August 1955 the division was made up of USS Bennington (Newport) and USS Lake Champlain (flagship) at Mayport. Ranger sailed as the flagship of Rear Admiral H. H. Caldwell, Commander, Carrier Division 2, from Hawaii to join the Seventh Fleet in February 1959. Air operations off Okinawa were followed by maneuvers with naval units from U.S. Naval Base Subic Bay. A special weapons warfare exercise and a patrol along the southern seaboard of Japan followed. During this deployment, Ranger launched more than 7,000 sorties.
After the war, division aircraft carriers were involved in the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Vietnam War. USS Enterprise flew the flag of Commander Carrier Division 2 in 1963. Rear Admiral Bernard M. Strean, as division commander, led Enterprise, Long Beach, and Bainbridge around the world in Operation Sea Orbit from July to October 1964. 'Sea Orbit' was a successful test of the first all-nuclear-powered task force. On 25 September 1965, Rear Admiral J. O. Cobb broke his flag as Commander, Carrier Division 2, aboard USS America. The division was re-designated as Commander Carrier Group 2 (ComCarGru 2) in 1973.

Carrier Division Two 001.jpg

Carrier Division Two 002.jpg