Framing Cabinet Photos

Brig

I've acquired quite a few USMC photos now, and several portraits. Amongst this, are a handful of cabinet photos. I would like to frame these portraits and hang them in the hall, since it's long and empty at the moment. Problem is, the vast majority of them range in combos between 5 1/16- 5 1/4 x 7 1/16-7 1/4...all just a bit too large for the 5x7 frames out there!!! FRUSTRATING! I don't wish to trim the cardboard backings these photos are mounted on, though I suspect that's the solution many collectors resort to. Does anyone have a source for frames that fall into these parameters? I know I could go a size up and center them, but it would ultimately take up more room I could use for displaying photos as I continue to acquire portraits. What do you guys do with your cabinet photos?

teufelhunde.ret

Sadly, no Hobby Lobby near you, they do have a good web site and selection is as good as it gets for the money. I was in their Savannah store last month, the diversity of goods is amazing !

Dang...appears they have a whole bunch of 5 x 7, none just a smidge bigger.

The hobby options in this run-down town are low. I went to Michael's Crafts this morning looking for bolts of felt for bigger cased displays...they don't sell fabric at all! Whiskey...tango...foxtrot, how can a craft store have no fabric?

BelligerentBlue

Yeah, I always hit up Hobby Lobby. Had a couple photos I wanted to mount, took it in there and the guy in mounting helped me out.

Silly suggestion, but make sure you don't put your photos directly on the glass. I ALWAYS make sure to put a matting around them! A humid day and drying out can destroy a photo sitting against the glass.

So with that said, get a slightly larger frame with a 5X7 matting and place the picture behind the matting. It might hide the photo a little but the main focus should still be shown in a 5x7 opening.

the edges of these cabinet photos aren't even photo...just cardboard, so no fear there. However, they're mounted on thick cardstock, so I might have to use acid free oak tag style paper if I want it all to fit...

example of what I'm talking about...

post-22-0-97442600-1391827167.jpg

BelligerentBlue

I think it all would fit. It might be snug. But yeah, you need something to separate it from the glass since they are mounted to the face of the card stock. I'll add a couple pictures of two I just had done. A big bigger than 5x7, but like yours, it was an odd size they don't make frames in anymore. Notice that they are double matted, plus mounted to the card stock like yours. It was a tight fit, but it's all in there and secured.

post-86536-0-27068500-1395349342.jpg

post-86536-0-75059800-1395349351.jpg

Nice photo, looks great. Will likely have to go that route

As for my photos that fit frames, I might just buy some of the mattes for the correct size and take an exacto blade to them to made a thin border, to keep the excess frame sizes to a minimum

BelligerentBlue

Yeah, I'm planning on hanging these two somewhere so that's why mine is a nicer/ bigger mat. I think you'll probably have to go with an 8x10 frame and have about a 3 inch mat all around unless you can find something smaller that will fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Michaels had a huge 40% off sale on frames, so I stocked up and bought big sheets of matte board for 6 bucks per...like 24x48...an exacto knife did wonders, so far have matted and framed 7, look great