Chinese/Japanese Large Folding Dagger

kanemono

Here is a folding dagger that was brought back from the Pacific by a Marine. This dagger was taken out of a wrecked Japanese Zero. The dagger is a very nicely made, Chinese marked, folding dagger. The Japanese pilot of the Zero must have captured it in China during his tour of duty there. It made a great practical souvenir. In fact, the Marine carried the dagger through out the rest of the war.

Dick

post-9487-0-46670800-1395345885.jpg

post-9487-0-85063500-1395345891.jpg

post-9487-0-08540200-1395345901.jpg

post-9487-0-48656500-1395346154.jpg

A German style folding bowie, what they call a Verlängerungsmesser. Second pic of OP's knife, you can see what looks to me like the button that keeps the knife closed. Is that so, OP? The backlock keeps it open. Handle looks to be horn.

Here is your knife's brother, or at least a first cousin. Chinese copy? As the Chinese of that period made their own mausers, a knife like this would be a piece of cake.

folding_bowie.jpg

A sheath for one of these things, very close to the one with the OP's knife. I have no idea if the sheath shown here actually goes with the knife shown. Who could know for sure?

folding_bowie.jpg

Thanks for the comments. I thought the knife was a copy of the German folding blade. It works as you described. The Chinese liked all things German and copied all things German, helmets, rifles, broomhandle Mausers and machineguns.

Dick

1SG_1st_Cav

Pretty damn awesome knife for sure. And a Chinese knife in the hands of a Japanese pilot is totally believable. Thanks ~ Danny

'Verlängerungsmesser' means something along the lines of expanding knife. I was not clear that the first knife I show is a German made.