M37 H&H Dress Cover Pinback (Conversion?)

Brig

Here's an interesting one. Unlike the known H&H sweetheart pins, which are collar size, this is full cover size, with all the same markings. Appears as if a screwpost was never applied, or if it was, was expertly removed and a pin expertly applied. No solder, no filing, no remnants of this ever being made or converted. That said, did H&H have a full cover size sweetheart version, did they produce a pinback cover emblem for awhile, or did someone have one privately converted with great skill?

101_5091.JPG

teufelhunde.ret

I've owned 1 or 2 thru the years, identical to this, which I have always attributed as sweetheart. The one piece woven fake anchor rope, than has been applied in two separate locations, vice, the two element - woven ropes applied as one piece across the three anchor elements has always been the clue to me.

This is a good topic for discussion as I continually see items for sale on various venues that list it as original uniform insignia.

With all I've read, anytime I see an EGA with the pin going from the eagle's chest to the anchor fluke, I considered it a sweetheart item. My question is, what did you Marines use for your dress uniforms that had the choker style collar? The Navy uses collar size anchors with small pin backs so the clutches don't dig into your neck, so I assume the Marine Corp have something similar?

Tim

Pinbacks were commonly used on collars WWI and prior, and afterwards in private purchase cases. The shoulder boards used pinbacks, and I've seen more than one original officer uniform where the officer chose to use pinbcks on the collars, probably for the comfort of his throat. Incidentally, you see a TON of dress collars with shortened posts for this very reason...full length posts on collar emblems of the WWII era are relatively fewer compared to shortened posts, as the posts of the ones I've owned over the years will attest

teufelhunde.ret

My question is, what did you Marines use for your dress uniforms that had the choker style collar?

As for my Officer uniforms, my blues were sewn / tailored / assembled with larger collars for comfort and the white collar insert prevented any contact of the screw post with skin, ditto evening mess dress. As for Dress Whites, they were generously cut for the hot summer wear, to include the collar. I always looked forward to formal events in the summer, the whites were my personal favorite uniform!

As for my Officer uniforms, my blues were sewn / tailored / assembled with larger collars for comfort and the white collar insert prevented any contact of the screw post with skin, ditto evening mess dress. As for Dress Whites, they were generously cut for the hot summer wear, to include the collar. I always looked forward to formal events in the summer, the whites were my personal favorite uniform!

I missed that era. Who knows, with all the uniform changes these past couple years, maybe they'll come back in peace time. All we have left is the trousers for Staff NCOs and officers

teufelhunde.ret

I missed that era. Who knows, with all the uniform changes these past couple years, maybe they'll come back in peace time. All we have left is the trousers for Staff NCOs and officers

I would hope so, I was shocked when I heard the news years ago they were dropped from the sea bag. The USMC Dress Whites were a Naval dress tradition since for-ever!!!

Of course there are allot of "news" events that have shocked me since my retirement 25+ years ago.... New breed, old breed, nope! Just the Marine breed! Oooohra!

Hi guys,

Yes, you're both correct on these being somewhat hard on the throat, especially when wearing them for several hours and going hoarse. One thing good the Navy did change on the choker whites, was to get rid of the three metal connecting loops and replaced them with velcro. That at least saved your adams apple!

I do see some older style EGA's with the flat style pin on the reverse and wasn't sure what they were but suspected these were what you guys used in the day. I'll have to find and post a PIC a bit later when time permits to verify what I am referring to.

Tim

Not readily finding the examples I wanted to show but here's an example that I can use to ask. I assumed this was an early dress collar device?

Tim

post-50776-0-03594400-1395361173.jpg