Helmet display

cepilot

Just a picture of a showing of some of my collection, I displayed last weekend at the , USAF , LUKE AFB , open house, in Phoenix, AZ .. ( they say 500,000 people attended ! ) .... I put out 60 helmets , from WWII to current ... The display is for a nation wide aviation group Im on the board of .... and my helmets are the draw to get people over to chat about it ..... ( American Aviation Historical Society ) ... ( plus one 'stinky-old' , HGU-55 and mask , helmet I let kids wear and get their picture taken with .... big draw , always had a line ! .. must be a zillion pictures around Phoenix , of a kid with a "thumb's up" , AKA , "Tom Crusie , Top-Gun pose ! , <grin>
Im still working - thinking on a better way to display them ....thinking about a heavy weight'd maybe 12"X1" board with 1" X 6" pegs sticking up spaced apart to place the hollow core hole in the foam head over, as they are definatly top heavy and would fall over easy off the table if bumped hard or in wind on outside displays ....and some type of ' military ' table cover ( camo - canvas or ? ) .. and 'table tent' cards describing the helmet type and aircraft that would be flown by the pilot wearing it .. any suggestions gang ?? I'd like to see picture for ideas , of how you all display your collections , either at home or in a public display ... Soon as I can reduce the size of the pictures for email , I'll post a few close-up shot's of the individual tables , so you all can see what I have ..... thanks & enjoy Mike / Cepilot
post-151690-0-71607200-1395328112.jpg

Mike,

Thank you for the post. It's often a difficult job for well displaying such items, particulary at public open spaces. We must be careful for carrying and displaying them. But it always a great satisfaction seeing and hearing kids and their parents when they have good some explanation about aviation gears. Congrats for your work.

I will display some items at the next Nancy french air force base in next July for three days.

For some ideas about how to display your treasures, you can see my post there: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/88117-usaf-and-usn-pilots/

We're waiting to see your helmets and any other aviation stuffs from you. Sure that there might be some interesting things to admire!

Franck

Nice Display Mike , looks really good .

I use a home made MDF base with a piece of dowel inserted ,they're nice and heavy but not too much

and a very stable platform to survive the odd accidental knock etc...

Yes !

Under the big blue sky of AZ, it's just paradise ! :lol:

I'd like to see specifically (just like Bebel !) all this stuff with proper pics !

• 4 months later...

i was disappointed i was unable to go especially after seeing this! i wish i could display like that there but i dont have pilot helmets if you are displaying anywhere else let me know id love to go see it!

• 5 months later...