Anybody have a source for korean war era gear?

subsystem4

subsystem4

Anybody know of a good source of Korean war era gear? I have been searching ebay i have not found much other that carbine/m1 pouches and cartridge belts.

korea drab

In my personal experience you should look on the same gear as ww2 but the date is important.

Most gear they used was ww2 production time.If we talk about Korean war itself.By looking on pictures you will see that allmost all was ww2 issue.Some minor items where suplied on time before the war come to an stop.

Now if you look for KW era stuff all what goes from 1951 to 1953.Many times at ebay they offer stuff that is first dated on the description not on the titles.So read a lot.It will not apear on the search itself.The propper seller will know that and maybe inlude it in the listing.I had found some treasures in unknowing sellers.

Ahhh get some source book.Pictures and data is very helpfull.

Good luck

Karl

Bob Hudson
In my personal experience you should look on the same gear as ww2

I agree - US troops in Korea, for the most part, were outfitted with WWII leftovers: if you want something such as a canteen and cover that could have been used in Korea, then look for the ones dated 1945 - generally made too late for use in WWII and they must have had warehouses full of 1945 items. As a general rule, WWII collectors don't want anything dated after 1944 (or even 43 sometimes) so the 45 stuff can be a lot cheaper. The stuff they started making during the Korean War was mostly made too late to have actually been used in the war. I have a bunch of 1945 canteens but I don't think I've ever seen one with a 50's date. I have found the USMC canteen covers dated 1952, but again, I suspect few of those were actually used in the war and if I was putting together a Korean War Marine collection (which I am) I would not use one of those (but I would use them for a Vietnam War Marine).

usmccanteensside.jpg

subsystem4
In my personal experience you should look on the same gear as ww2 but the date is important.

Most gear they used was ww2 production time.If we talk about Korean war itself.By looking on pictures you will see that allmost all was ww2 issue.Some minor items where suplied on time before the war come to an stop.

Now if you look for KW era stuff all what goes from 1951 to 1953.Many times at ebay they offer stuff that is first dated on the description not on the titles.So read a lot.It will not apear on the search itself.The propper seller will know that and maybe inlude it in the listing.I had found some treasures in unknowing sellers.

Ahhh get some source book.Pictures and data is very helpfull.

Good luck

Karl

Drab, I know they used a lot of WWII surplus during the war and I have a pretty good sized collection of WWII web gear and a few good references on WWII uniforms and gear. I am trying to find 1951 -1953 dated stuff. I have a 1951 dated cartridge belt that i did find in the WWII section of ebay.

The only book i have on the Korean war is a pictorial history that was published in the 50's. Can you recommend a good book on the Korea war with plenty of pictures?

Are their any items of web gear that are unique to the Korean war?

Bob Hudson
Are their any items of web gear that are unique to the Korean war?

Those 1952 Collettee canteen covers made for the Marines would be, but again they likely did not see much service in the war.

If you go through our forum reference section at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showforum=146 you can find all sorts of photos of dated field gear from the collection of Craig Pickrall. He seems to have at least one of everything so it's a very good place to see what types of field were produced with early 50's dates.

korea drab

Stanton has a nice reference book.

I think it still has to be done a good one.With big and nice color photos.But it is not hot theme as ww2!

Valery here sugested me once to look for anual unit books.They are great source for time pictures.Also internet pages.

As a good detective yours is the task! Look ask and look again.You will be surprise with results.That is the fun part of collecting for me.It makes it more dinamic.

Here a war time pic of a soldier.All ww2 clothing!

post-1820-1211764180.jpg

Now this is diferent,probably 1945 dated jackets(satin new) but 1950 QM dated winter cap and field cap.Trigger finger mittons(1950/1)and pile liners....

post-1820-1211764258.jpg

Now field gear is much complicated.The post war(ww2) differs in color.Darker OD.But try to id that on BW pictures and under combat conditions....dirt etc.No way that easy.So be flexible.Look like Bob said for 1945 dated stuff!

Enjoy

Karl

Those 1952 Collettee canteen covers made for the Marines would be, but again they likely did not see much service in the war.

I have one of those 1952 dated canteen covers.

What makes them USMC issue? I can't see any USMC markings etc.

Bob Hudson
I have one of those 1952 dated canteen covers.

What makes them USMC issue? I can't see any USMC markings etc.

The markings on those 1952 Collette covers tend to fade away. I had three of them earlier this year and the USMC on one was pretty much faded into oblivion.

usmccanteens.jpg

New Romantic
Anybody know of a good source of Korean war era gear? I have been searching ebay i have not found much other that carbine/m1 pouches and cartridge belts.

You should have checked eBay last summer when I was selling my entire Korean War collection. I had several early 50's M1945 Pack sets, minty canteen covers, minty pistol belt, also a lot of WWII items still used in Korea, the majority of it all minty.

A friend of mine who sells militaria may have some good items. I'm meeting up with him tomorrow and I'll see what he has. If you're interested send me a PM.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a m45 cargo pack, with straps added, and a lrger lower pack. the lower pack is missing a few straps though, almost looks like a tool bag. mionr oxidation on a couple of buckles, nice set.

Matt

k1.JPG

k2.JPG

missing straps here

k3.JPG

date marking and repair marking on lower pack

k4.JPG

date marking on upper pack

k5.JPG

k6.JPG

k7.JPG

I'll look to see if there are any dates on the straps

craig_pickrall

The lower bag is a M44 lower that was converted to a M45 spec. The old straps were cut off anf new straps added. The repair stamp is for the conversion.

The markings on those 1952 Collette covers tend to fade away. I had three of them earlier this year and the USMC on one was pretty much faded into oblivion.

usmccanteens.jpg

That really sucks..

I find some at surplus stores as it is considered surplus in many cases. Also on ebay, look under WW2 stuff to as a lot of people mislabel things. I find KW stuff in WW2 all the time.

You might want to try http://www.oldgrouch.com/. Buddy or Tim might be able to dig around the warehouse if you know what you're wanting. They don't have the good stuff advertised on the website, so a phone call or email is probably the best way to go. Happy Hunting, Dave

• 3 years later...

Hello Bob,

That's a very interesting thread, especially for me as a US canteens collector. The 1950s gear is not so easy to find and many times is more expensive than WWI or WWII one. I am lucky owner of 1952 canteen set (all 3 elements of 1952) and observing eBay it is clearly seen how rare such items are.

I agree - US troops in Korea, for the most part, were outfitted with WWII leftovers: if you want something such as a canteen and cover that could have been used in Korea, then look for the ones dated 1945 - generally made too late for use in WWII and they must have had warehouses full of 1945 items.

That's right, even WWI canteens can be seen in the KW images. On the other hand, it is interesting who and what for ordered brand-new canteens for fiscal years 1952, 1953 and 1954? Did the Pentagon expect multi-year war in Korea? The last batches of WWII CRS canteens were top quality and even today they are clean, corrosionless and fully serviceable.

I have a bunch of 1945 canteens but I don't think I've ever seen one with a 50's date.

The Mirro Corporation manufactured M1910 canteens between 1952 and 1954 but those were short runs and today they are rare and expensive.

I have found the USMC canteen covers dated 1952, but again, I suspect few of those were actually used in the war and if I was putting together a Korean War Marine collection (which I am) I would not use one of those (but I would use them for a Vietnam War Marine).

In 1952 Collette manufactured also the covers stamped "U.S." -- I guess for the Army only.

The stuff they started making during the Korean War was mostly made too late to have actually been used in the war.

During WWII there were various military goods stamped "1945" because they were manufactured for the money of 1945 fiscal year, but in fact they were manufactured since September or October of 1944. The Pentagon's fiscal year starts on October 1st. Do not you think that field gear stamped officially "1952" could be manufactured as always in the US defense industry, i.e. since September-October of 1951?

Best regards

Greg