1930's Enlisted EGA's and Those Unknown Marks

Tim B

I've been reading some of the older threads in the reference section and noted a couple of unknown marks found on the 1930's era enlisted EGA's. Recently, Brig posted one of these for sale and it got me thinking about those odd hallmarks again.

As the threads are somewhat older, I thought perhaps new information might have come to light since then? In reality, not knowing all the manufacturers of military insignia back in the day, we may not be able to tell anymore.

On the version with the three vertical dots on the back of the eagle's chest: Could it possibly be Swank?

They were in the business and large enough to produce thousands of metal identification tags ("dog tags") for the military during WW1. While this was the company's most notable contribution to the war effort, it also profited from the production of numerous other emblems for the U.S. government during those years. I'm not sure if they had any military contracts between the wars but, in World War II Swank manufactured tools, precision parts for automatic weapons, and had contracts to manufacture both Bronze Stars and Purple Hearts for the military.

They changed the company name over the years and though using the name SWANK in the mid 1920's, officially became Swank Products by 1936 and Swank, Inc. by 1941, which they kept for at least the next fifty years.

Tim

Photo credit: Brig

post-50776-0-20484200-1395284125.jpg

Here's why I am mentioning Swank.

On the Bronze Stars they produced during WW2, all have a hallmark on the reverse of the suspension loop. That hallmark is a series of three dots, which some have theorized might indicate morse code for the letter "S". Though the dots on the Bronze Stars are horizontal, it would have been impractical to place them vertically and perhaps in the case of the EGA's, vertical was easier?

Just speculation on my part but I wanted to see if anyone knew if Swank produced military insignia during the 1920's/30's?

post-50776-0-80823100-1395284661.jpg

The other EGA up for discussion is the version with the so-called "reverse S".

Photo credit would be to the late Gary M.

post-50776-0-71769400-1395284804.jpg

I have to ask here, never actually having one of these in hand, are we sure this is actually a reverse letter "S" or is it possible that the mark is an upside down "2"?

If you look closely at the right photo, it resembles a number "2" with the small serif. Thoughts?

Tim

post-50776-0-81153600-1395285005.jpg

As Swank wasn't known as a big producer of USMC insignias, I had never really paid attention to them before. Would be interested in hearing from some guys who know about them on this subject

teufelhunde.ret

As the threads are somewhat older, I thought perhaps new information might have come to light since then? In reality, not knowing all the manufacturers of military insignia back in the day, we may not be able to tell anymore.

I'm unaware of anything new, in terms of intelligence gathering on the maker of these emblems. Keep in mind, these are issue emblems made during the depression days, not likely the Quartermasters Office was passing out annual contracts to large makers for the small quantities or number of insignia, the Corps enlisted each year... this is only blue-sky thinking. The answers to many of these EGA questions are to be found at the National Archives, in the USMC Quartermasters Records Group. Until such time as someone can afford the time and money in DC or monies for a researcher, blue-sky thinking will continue to rule the day in many emblem topics.

normaninvasion

I know this is a broad question but any more info on this USMC Quartermaster Records Archive? I take it Alec has dug thru this a few times. Jeff

teufelhunde.ret

I know this is a broad question but any more info on this USMC Quartermaster Records Archive? I take it Alec has dug thru this a few times. Jeff

Alex spent allot of monies for a researcher to sift thru the USMC record group for his book.

• 2 weeks later...

So, as not to dead end the thread here...

Can anyone that actually has an EGA in hand with the so-called reverse "S", comment on whether they think the mark is an "S" or "2" and what they think about it?

Tim

I've always felt it was a reverse 'S', the bottom is far too rounded to be a '2', at least on mine. No idea what it's there for