Is this a 179th Artillery Regiment DI or something else?

Siamundo

I was hoping someone might be able to provide a positive ID for this DI. Based on the motto and the basic design appears to be for the 179th Field Arillery Regiment. However, based on images I can find of the 179th's DI this one is slightly different with the addition of a small castle tower on the left side, and the two quadrants on the left are blue and not red. I thought it was interesting that the screwback had been cut off and replaced with an open catch pin back. Thank you for your help.

post-2744-0-93883800-1395282090.jpg

post-2744-0-91773200-1395282126.jpg

This might be a DI for the old 122nd Infantry GANG, note the back, it looks likes as you mentioned it used to be a late 1920s/30s Screwback. The 122nd Infantry as far as I seen, in two books, Sawicki's Infantry Lineage and Stanton's Order of Battle WWII has no DI listed for the 122nd Infantry, Sawicki list the 1950s type as the unit was all over the map, but it just might of had one back there in the 30s that never was listed or mentioned. As we see here, it was the 121st Infantry, then the 122nd Infantry and back to the 121st Inf, confusing eh? also note the coat of arms for the 121st Inf, a unit that has in it's lineage the 122nd Inf. It's possible when the DI for the 179th Artillery was adopted it for some reason forgot to incorporate the castle, or it was left off for some symbolic reason?

More info from Sawicki's Infantry lineage.

The operative paragraph.

Regiment (122nd Inf) less 3rd Battalion converted, reorganized and redesignated as the 179th Field Artillery 1 July 1939; concurently 3rd Battalion redesignated 2nd Battalion 214th Coast Artillery. Inducted into Federal service at Atlanta 24 February 1941 (as 179th Field Artillery).

You are right, patches, that is a confusing lineage! I appreciate the information greatly as I was coming up empty handed in finding anything regarding the design on the 179th prior to their induction into federal service. I now know more than I did. Thank you.

The ASMIC Iinfantry DI Catalog lists this as the 122nd Inf (GA NG).The design was authorized 12 Mar 27, samples app 22 June 27, cancelled 24 Aug 40. They were made by Robbins, as is yours.