WW2 German Helmet from El Guettar

27Division18

27Division18

Recently picked up this German M40 helmet and noticed just tonight when looking at it closely that there is inked (faintly) into the liner: "March 20, 1943 El Guettar."" As the helmet is not the Afrika Korps tan color I was surpirsed to see this identification (placed by the GI who "liberated" the piece, no doubt). Were all german helmets used in the North African theater painted tan?

post-151543-0-39010600-1395191729.jpg

post-151543-0-09340000-1395191774.jpg

Hard to say but if the eagle is more gold than silver it could be Navy.This said the silver eagles will tone to a goldish color.Looking at them in real good light or outside will help.

In your other post I read the first thing I thought of was a Navy or Coastal Artillery.As stated not all were painted.Just like in Europe not all the helmets were painted in what collectors call"Normandy Camo".

Nice named helmet,Congrats!!!

USCapturephotos

Yeah. I was going to say the same thing. I don't think it is unusual at all to have a helmet from that theater with normal issue stock paint. I love the fact that you discovered the GI writing inside...to bad he didn't put his name. Keep looking as it may be very lightly done in pencil. I have seen others like that. Please let me know if you decide to sell as souvenirs are right up my alley.

Thanks again for sharing this neat piece. Where did you find it?

Paul

As to the NON Tan/Khaki/Olive/Yellow-ish painted helmet, right after the Allied Invasion of North Africa (TORCH) November 1942, the Germans as well as the Italians sent very significant forces to counter the landings, troops sent into Tunisia. These Troops had no affiliation with their colleagues to east, ie they were not part of the Africa Korps, these troops by and large were outfited with tropical uniforms and equipment, but a fare number were not. Photos do show German troops wearing standard continental wool unforms with unpainted field grey helmets. It's worth noting that the main German unit at El Guettar was the 10th Panzer Division, one of the Divisions sent to North Africa in November 1942, it being sent there from France were it was rebuilding from hard service on the Eastern Front.

To show what we're talking about, see this pile of helmets taken from captured Germans in May 1943 Tunisia. Quite a few non tropical painted helmets, at least two with the Wehrmact Adler decal, seen along with painted ones and pith helmets. There another photo, in this one, we see not only the same here, but also one's with the camoflage splinter covers, the specifically made covers with foliage loops, a type not worn by the DAK, but worn by some who came to Tunisia in November 1942.

post-34986-0-38681000-1395291949.jpg

manayunkman

Very nice helmet.

I might be wrong but that grommet looks like a separate piece which would make this a period reconditioned M-35.

Patches,

What happened to all those helmets ?

Standard procedure seems to be...bury them.

If they were buried in Tunisia they are probably in pretty good condition.

Sorry.This thread will have to be locked...Non-US items limited to items and the history of Veteran bringbacks.