US M7 bayonet.......53 years of US and Foreign Military Service

M7bayonet

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all. I m trying to get my head around bayonets. I have seen one that has colt 62316 and Hartford on the blade. Any info on what it is nd why they worth or do I need more info

There are approximately 20 different type of M7 bayonets that are Colt marked on the blade with different degrees of value. You would have to supply more of a description for me to give you a true evaluation of the bayonet in question. If you could post a picture that would be great. If you can't, a description including if there is anything stamped on the crossguard or the bayonet ring, what type of handle/s are on it, the back cut on the blade and anything else that may help me determine which Colt M7 we are talking about. I am thinking it is an Imperial Colt, but it could be almost any version. Let me know more details.

It looks to be an IMPERIAL Colt M7 bayonet from the backcut on the blade. The crossguard should be only stamped with US M7. The scabbard that was issued with these bayonets would have a crinkle type finish to it and be stamped only USM8A1 on the throat without any makers name. There were approximately 30, 000 of these bayonets made by IMPERIAL for Colt in the early 60s. Current value for these bayonets is $69 on up. These bayonets used to be valued at $125-150 until a couple years ago when a cache of them was located and they have since flooded the market and created chaos for the value. These are not USGI M7 bayonets. Colt had to supply M7 bayonets with every M-16 they delivered to the military and they subcontracted the manufacturing of these bayonets to IMPERIAL and MILPAR. (There may have been more makers of M7 bayonets for Colt, but that is not confirmed as of now).

Glad I stumbled on this post. I never knew the wide range of M7's out there. I saw the display at Baltimore, but never actually got a chance to come over and look close. I need to go through my fathers M7's and see what is in there. I know he has a bunch with colt blades, but not sure of makers. I know one is a colt contract with Israeli proof marks and another is marked Made in Germany.

I have recognized a few names here, some of you might know me. I'm Roy Anderson Jr., my Dad was Roy Anderson who was really involved with the SABC.

I remember your Dad very well, he was a great guy and a great asset to the SABC. I do remember seeing you this year in Baltimore. There are alot of different Colt marked M7s, some of which demand pretty good prices. If you have any questions on any of your Dad's M7s, bring them down to Baltimore this year and I will be glad to let you know exactly what they are and their current value. I currently know of 22 different versions of Colt marked M7s and 126 different versions of the M7.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Gang!! Just finished my annual light oiling my post Korean war bayonets. Noticed my Milpar M7 had the back flattened on both sides. Never noticed it before. Glad it was brought up here. Also found I had a late VP M8A1 scabbard w/ metal tip, matched with a Milpar-Colonial M6. Finally my late plastic handled Imperial M4 had the DAS, and an "I" in a circle on the pommel. Pays to maintain and check collection. I evidently need to give my post WW2 collection more attention. SKIP