U.S. Navy, Aviator's Kit Individual WW2? what went into it?

Terry K.

That's a WW2 Navy stock number. Navy and Army stock numbers were different until 1947. That's when they standardized their numbering system.

This case could be considered the 3rd pattern and is also a post war production piece 1946-1947. mass or large quantity production did not occur until on and after October 1945. This case remained in the system till at least the early 1960's. This case would be good for Korean era early Vietnam display.

These are the two war time produced cases. First pattern or first production was made using HBT material with all other identifying features being the same. Identifying features include stamped Red Cross US NAVY, stamped black stock number typically on back belt loop, decorative glove snaps and a distinctly different colored label.

post-56-0-62843900-1395172170.jpg

The case you have would have still included the original designed insert and supplies. But later a new insert was devised and would be more correct for your case. The case you have are a dime a dozen very common with thousands of them released surplus in the 1990's.

Pictured here is the insert included in the WWII model comprising of two halves taped together and when opened reveal the contents.

post-56-0-75014000-1395172986.jpg

Hi Dustin

Your post war example of the insert looks like a US Forestry item to me. Are you sure of that ID? They issued a very similar version of this kit during Vietnam. Do you have an example?

That's why I used the term "something like this". I should have been more clear on that point. Your probably correct on the ID and I know its a close relative example. I don't have an example of a correct post war example.

excellent Survival, I certainly have not spent much time past the immediate post WWII era research wise. In addition the original model was designed to be refillable which would explain its long service life. Attached is a picture of a partial repack probably in the early 1950's?

post-56-0-35234200-1395257289.jpg

I always had the inclination that the 3rd pattern case was manufactured well after 1947 as well as we see S2#### stock numbers still being used.