First Aid Pouch M1924 Question

Scoutcar1943

Scoutcar1943

Dear all,

Last week I saw this first aid pouch for sale.

The manufacturer is AIRTRESS MIDLAND from 1942. I have never seen a pouch from Airtress Midland from 1942 untill last week. The combination of this manufacturer and year isn't also on the list that's available on this forum. Note that it also has a different LTD fastener.

Is it a original pouch or a modified one? Could somebody tell me some more about it?

Thanks in advance!

William

post-149978-0-88758300-1395072907.jpg

post-149978-0-75220000-1395072911.jpg

Dear all,

Last week I saw this first aid pouch for sale.

The manufacturer is AIRTRESS MIDLAND from 1942. I have never seen a pouch from Airtress Midland from 1942 untill last week. The combination of this manufacturer and year isn't also on the list that's available on this forum. Note that it also has a different LTD fastener.

Is it a original pouch or a modified one? Could somebody tell me some more about it?

Thanks in advance!

William

Snap a pic of the other side of the LTD if you get a chance.

Here's a pic of the back plate

Interesting. I did not expect that. I am not the expert on LTD's but this one just looks incorrect.

I have M24's from 1940 to 1942. They have different LTD's compared to this one.

Maybe, if we are lucky, one of the other forum members can shed some light on this LTD.

I could not find it in a quick search but there is a thread on here somewhere that goes into pretty good detail on LTD's and when they suspect they were used. That is an odd one. The pouch appears to be period but I am not familiar with that snap.

By the way I like your avatar.

CC

Hi William,

nice and interesting pouch there... As you said the Airtress Midland 1942 first aid pouch is a new entry not seen on the usual lists of manufacturers / years...

As for the fastener the closest I could find is the early "Pull Here" of British manufacture. They are seen on the early British Made FA pouches (and .45 mag pouches), before they turned to the more familiar round brass blackened button. Obviuously your pouch is a fully US made, so also the fastener should be US, but I have never seen one like that...

Here some pictures of a British Made M.E.C° 1943 with "Pull Here" fastener and an Airtress Midland 1944 with an usual unmarked "dot" fastener...

Fausto

post-8381-0-01107200-1395223693.jpg

post-8381-0-59450300-1395223701.jpg

Scoutcar1943

Thanks all for you help! So it's still quite a mysterious example. I will keep you posted if I know some more about it!

• 8 years later...

An old post from 2014 back to top. 
I have found another Airtress Midland from 1942, it was sold by a French militaria dealer.
Same markings on the back only 1942 more faded.
The LTD fastener is "normal" with this one in the inside.

IMG_3383_InPixio.png

IMG_3384_InPixio.png

IMG_3387_InPixio.png

IMG_3387_InPixio (2).jpg

IMG_3383_InPixio (2).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my pouch and I wonder what about the snaps fasteners that it has... TRW DOT... have someone any with these??? 

2022-10-7 19-54-2.jpg

2022-10-7 19-53-6.jpg

IMG_20221007_195514_edit_23227922148018.jpg

IMG_20221007_181414.jpg

IMG_20221007_181425.jpg

IMG_20221007_181530.jpg

It's a rare pouch you have, almost no reference material available to compare. 
I have not seen those markings on the back of the lift the dot fastener on a first aid pouch. 
A quick search on the internet and I only found this on a forum of MG cars. www.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-gt-forum.1/lift-the-dot-fastener-help-please.3329789/

WornDot.jpg

3 hours ago, Luc said:

It's a rare pouch you have, almost no reference material available to compare. 
I have not seen those markings on the back of the lift the dot fastener on a first aid pouch. 
A quick search on the internet and I only found this on a forum of MG cars. www.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-gt-forum.1/lift-the-dot-fastener-help-please.3329789/

WornDot.jpg

And then any idea about what happens here because the aid pouch AIRTRESS MIDLAND 1942 is period but no idea about the fastener why this strange or never seen fastener is there?? 

I really don't know, maybe done at the factory, maybe a repair after the war.
If I find another pouch with that fastener one, I'll post them on the forum.
But it's still a very rare pouch you have...........

4 minutes ago, Luc said:

I really don't know, maybe done at the factory, maybe a repair after the war.
If I find another pouch with that fastener one, I'll post them on the forum.
But it's still a very rare pouch you have...........

But strange snap does not mean that is a repro pouch??? 

Sorry but Im worried because I paid 50 EUR for the set 

I found this thread too, may be you that are English speaker could make me a brief what they are talking about because I don't understand so much... 

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/topic5086_post52718.html#52718

Thompson Products and Ramo-Wooldridge merged in October 1958 to form Thompson Ramo Wooldridge Inc., unofficially known as "TRW".
Thompson Ramo Wooldridge officially became TRW Inc. in July 1965.

9 minutes ago, Luc said:

Thompson Products and Ramo-Wooldridge merged in October 1958 to form Thompson Ramo Wooldridge Inc., unofficially known as "TRW".
Thompson Ramo Wooldridge officially became TRW Inc. in July 1965.

And so what is suggested there that pouch would be 1965 made or what explanation should have all about it??? 

What strange things??? 

The fabric itself and the colour don't look repro to me, usually you can see the difference between original and even a good repro pretty easy and these pouches are too common and low-value to put in a lot of effort in aging them. It's 80 years old and it's easy to imagine the fastener at some time broke and was replaced... maybe by the surplus shop that most likely sold it onto the civilian market decades ago??????