Airborne Crickets

alktrio06

The crickets linked in post #1 are fakes... Here's a picture of real crickets for your comparison.

As Ian said, the ACME firm is still making these. Unlike WWII crickets they're cheap and basically the same thing... A cricket (even a dug up cricket) recovered in Normandy will easily set you back 1500$. Prices are really steep for these. Without a doubt the most iconic airborne related item out there!

CricketTrio.jpg

I should have pointed out that the Acme examples in post #2 above are honestly sold as re-struck replicas for collectors. The same manufacturer also reproduces their famous AM "Thunderer" dinghy-whistles for collectors. I have examples of both and they are very good...it's only their shiny "newness" which identifies them as replicas. But...as with all such replicas...somewhere down the line, with a little wear and tear, they could easily pass as originals. Similar "clickers" can also be bought at various outlets in Normandy. Although identical at a glance, on closer inspection they are engraved with "Juin 6, 1944" and are simply meant as souvenirs for tourists. I have one...it functions perfectly!

Here is what an Original WWII ACME Chrome Cricket looks like

one of the Rarer ACME Crickets Published in Americas Finest Book for reference.

post-11464-0-98506200-1395184143.jpg

post-11464-0-04458100-1395184175.jpg