Which would you choose - a Springfield M-1 or a Winchester M-1

USAF29thINFvet

YankeeSpirit76

Mine's a Winchester...beautiful piece. But (and you're not going to like this) it does not shoot because this is the UK! :(

post-8022-1336136354.jpg

That's still a great looking piece you have there Ian. And a Winnie to boot.

Thanks. Yes, it is a handsome piece and in great shape. It has a WW2 serial number. Alas, as I said, in keeping with British firearms laws, it has been rendered incapable of firing. However, it can be stripped/ broken down/ cocked and dry-fired etc., so it's not all bad!

USAF29thINFvet

The one I am looking at has "A 4" stamped on stock near the middle of the larger part of the stock ...what does that mean?

The one I am looking at has "A 4" stamped on stock near the middle of the larger part of the stock ...what does that mean?

Anniston Arsenal rebuild mark.

these may not be too "original". Tread with caution.

-Brian

blitzkrieg gsd

Something seems off about these rifles in my mind. I buy and sell guns all the time and when I get a original war time piece I get all the info I can. When it comes time to sell I can tell the buyer everything they would need to know to see its what I say it is. Most sellers do the same thing I do. So this guy not being able to show you what makes this 100% what he says it is makes me nervous. And the price being at the lower end of the price sounds fishy to. A guy who comes into a collection from a old collector who has good stuff will know what he's getting. He will want to get close to top dollar and it's not hard to do with the web these days. Here's my advice take pics of every part with a serial number and all major parts. Post them on here or where you fell ok about what they tell you and hear what they have to say. Don't let yourself get burned on the deal or miss out on it. The seller should give you time to make sure it is what he says it is. If he don't you know why so good luck and let us know how it goes.

USAF29thINFvet

I guess his / my definition of "original" equates to all the "parts" are WWII. I know the odds of getting an M-1 that is original in the true sense of the word is almost close to impossible to find. If all the innards are WWII dated but the stock has A 4 stamped in it....I am happy. With some of the junk I see on online shops and the price they are asking I am pleased.

Wharfmaster

Just so they can shoot?! That's a wee bit drastic! :o

People have moving to America "just so they can shoot" since the 1600s. My family included. ;)

And yes, in the 1600s, it WAS drastic ! :o

W

I guess his / my definition of "original" equates to all the "parts" are WWII. I know the odds of getting an M-1 that is original in the true sense of the word is almost close to impossible to find. If all the innards are WWII dated but the stock has A 4 stamped in it....I am happy. With some of the junk I see on online shops and the price they are asking I am pleased.

This is true..

if you are patient sometimes you can find even better deals. Though this may be a decent deal compared to online prices!

Just for example: I got an "all correct" as in all the parts/barrel (original barrel to the receiver)/stock are correct for a 1945 Springfield.. with uncut op-rod and excellent bore for $950 a year or so ago. The stock is near mint but the metal parts were reparked at some point.

From a local seller who advertised in the "swap sheet". I believe the one I got was sold as "correct" by the CMP at some point in the distant past.

So there are even better deals out there.. now not saying what you are getting into may not be a good deal. I am very out of touch on Garand pricing.. I thought I was paying out the nose at $950 but comparing to what I see online it seems I got a screaming deal.

So if you buy this one.. just keep your eyes open and you never know what you might stumble across! In other words: be ready with cash. :)

-Brian

One of the things to consider, that has been danced around this thread considering originality, is how much of the Winchester is Winchester? If you are fine with a mix master as a shooter, great, but $2000 seems high for a parts gun. Winchester parts add up very quickly if you decided to "restore" it. Barrel, Op rod, Gas Cylinder, and Stock are pretty tricky major components to track down, and then if you decide you need original WRA lock bar sights- Good Luck! I bring this up because I have been restoring a cmp field grade Winchester and its been an expensive (but fun) hunt. If you are able the take some detailed pictures post em here, and I am sure there are many guys who can help. Also take a look on the net for the CMP garand forums- there is a lot of info there to make a good decision.

• 5 months later...