Which would you choose - a Springfield M-1 or a Winchester M-1

USAF29thINFvet

USAF29thINFvet

I have the opportunity to purchase an M-1 Garand this week and the dealer has one of each...both produced in 1943. Is one manufacturer "better" than the other as far as collecting? Is there one more difficult to find?

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks

YankeeSpirit76

I'm sure they were manufactured to the same specs so, one is as good as the other, however, I'm sure the Winchester is more rare, making it worth a bit more.

Are they both in good working order?

USAF29thINFvet

Yes.... both are out of a long time collector's collection and are complete WWII.

Both have type 2 sight....

What would a "fair" price be for either?

There is a lot that determines what a fair price is. You don't have enough information on these rifles yet to determine a fair price. How is the wood? Any stock markings? Correct parts? Op rods cut or uncut? Photos? TE & MW measurements?

Lot of missing information.

I'd grab the Winchester myself.

Winchesters are worth more.

"Fair price" has many different meanings and has many different contributing factors.

We definitely need more info for this.

-Brian

It all depends if they have original Parkerizing finishes?, if the parts are correct to that year and month of the rifle serial number and or which one is more original? I always check the three major items on a Garand first!!! The cartouche stocks, barrels and uncut op rods are the hardest pieces to find if they are not correct to the rifle and if a person wanted to make it correct it get pricey.

Winchester made less rifles pre month than Springfield did so yes they are rarer.

I would go to Scott Duffs web site and check out the prices of the WWII M1 Garands he sells, it hard to give you a price without seeing the rifle.

Craig

Mine's a Winchester...beautiful piece. But (and you're not going to like this) it does not shoot because this is the UK! :(

post-8022-1336136354.jpg

Sabrejet,

I talk to many ex Brit's over here in the US they left England and move here just so they can own and shoot guns so they move here and most are ex-military. Nice M1

Craig

USAF29thINFvet

These came out of a huge collection and the person that has them is still processing them as of today. He allowed me to see the rifles yesterday and they are in excellent condition. He said they are complete WWII issue ...... Not rebuilt. He is asking $2000 for either one.

$2,000 apiece and they are original WWII, not rebuilt? If true, that is a good price for either.

However proceed with CAUTION! In my opinion, there are relatively few Garand's that are original, just as they came off the assembly line during WWII.

Get someone who is extremely knowledgeable about Garands to check these out for you in person....just to make sure.

If they turn out to be as claimed, I'd try to get both and sell one to help pay off the one you keep.

Kim

The market for an original Winchester with all original parts is much higher than 2K in excellent condition. If it's as nice as you say it is I would drop that price in a heartbeat over the Springfield.

I have two from the DCM.Back n the day I shot with our club and qualified for a rifle.Mine came from Anniston.I was the last to send in my paper work and the first to get a rifle.It was a Springfield reciever and a mix breed.Cost $265 all in.About 5 years later one of the club guys wanted to sell his rifle.Winchester reciever and a mix bag pretty much.Cost...$350 as he threw in a bandoleer of ammo.To me these are as original as it gets.THis is how they ended their service life.

I do have a 43 Springfield with 43 dated barrel,WW2 lock bars etc.Got it at a local auction.Previous owner sanded the stock.As far as I know he got it in 1968 from a co-worker.I had a buddy gauge the barrel.He said it was pretty thin on both end.3-4 range.He didnt advise shooting it.I said cool.He was perplexed.I said it basically says to me its all original and hadnt been re-worked(ecpet the guy who sanded the stock).I dont kow the in and outs or really care about it checking off part for part on a data sheet everyone has to have.It is what it is and I like it.

THis said buy the one you like.It comes down to some pay or put more value in to Winchester over Springfield.Like Buying a Colt or Smith and Wesson or Chevy/Ford.Guys pay more for a colt.Its a preferance or a name thing to me.To me Sprinfields seem better finnied.Like carbines.I much preffer and Inland over a Winchester for finnish but the Winchester brings more because of the name(in most cases)and I do have a Winchester carbine thats a mix master.The barrel and reciever are Winchester.

The Winchester is rarer but I prefer Springfield - I have read that the Springfield's are build better and to tougher tolerance.

But go with the gun that is the most 'original' as this will get a better price down the road if you intend to sell.

Winchesters are worth more.

"Fair price" has many different meanings and has many different contributing factors.

We definitely need more info for this.

-Brian

Yep Winchesters are worth more, but for their name. they werent as well machined as Springfields so its paying for a Name rather than quality

riflegreen297

You will almost always get your money back faster with profit with the name Winchester than almost any other M1. That said, for $2K a lot of unstated, unknowns when it comes to a COLLECTABLE vs a SHOOTER Garand as old fire guy stated.

Yep Winchesters are worth more, but for their name. they werent as well machined as Springfields so its paying for a Name rather than quality

Yup and people will do it all day long!

My Garand is a Springfield and my Carbine is a Winchester.

-Brian

What about a non firing inspection period? Have the seller document the parts via photograph and retain the photos while you bring it to an expert to be appraised. If your in VA I know a gentleman with 45 years experience.....If and when I purchase, I do my research then have someone who is not "emotionally" involved vet my findings. Most veteran collectors with experience around the collector market, and the gunshows who have handled hundreds of Garands would probably give you an honest opinion. You learn something with every rifle you handle / examine .....

Johan Willaert

This is my WW2 M1 'family' picture...

Top is WRA with three SA below...

If I ever come to sell the WRA will definitely be the last to go.... I have seen many SA Garands, but only a handful of WRA...

post-92-0-62812100-1395140922.jpg