Collection from Italy: #8 F-16 PILOT, Edwards A.F.B. 1987-92

BlueBookGuy

BlueBookGuy

Some details I remember about this guy:

** all started actually with a very very Dark Blue subvariant of the CWU-73/P suit, having the neck label with a NASA contract (??) :mellow:

** first helmet was at first a single visor HGU-2A/P, decorated with stylized stars/lightnings on the cut-away cover

** first Torso Harness I found out (already a GREAT finding for me in those days) was a much more standard PCU-15/P equipped with "Koch" female-type fittings for quick release (typical of those worn on USAF F-4, F-15, A-7D, A-10 etc.). This present one, fitted wich so-called "Frost" clips (MXU-683/P, made in a different alloy) did arrive later

** first flight gloves were B-3As as well, but in the more usual Dark Brown

** first kneeboard was the much more refined, rigid design MXU-163/P, wich went subsequently to another modern pilot

** flight charts were a different type.

But, apparently no photos left of that particular display - it lasted perhaps a couple years.

Franco.

BlueBookGuy

This pilot could pretty well have been equipped with a HGU-55/P helmet (but, the same MBU-14/P oxy. mask) if from the very late '80s - all the remaining items would be stayed exactly the same, at least until toward mid-'90s.

A correct choice in this case (if equipped with the simpler, lightweight helmet) would be a HGU-55/P having the shell entirely covered with reflective white tape. This the Navy standard along many years with the older HGU series of flight helmets, mainly the -33/P and -34/P models.

This later lightweight helmet will be anyway the standard pattern for Navy and USMC too, once well into the '90s - in the end, a standardization for both the USAF and its Naval counterpart.

As for personal tastes I never liked the HGU-55/P and its extrapolated variants, no matter if in subdued USAF Tactical Grey or a wholly Navy reflective livery w/ some colorful markings - just the helmet itself, visually much inferior to the HGU-33/P and similar. Not to mention the latest USAF single-visor HGU-2A/P, wich eventually in its ultimate pattern was a near-copy of the Navy -33/P or 34/P model.

• 1 month later...
mohawkALSE

In regards with the LPU-9, apparently in the early 90s they came out with its own AFTO Inspection and log form (AFTO Form 466A) specifically labeled for the LPU-9 life preserver. My form 466A in my LPU-9 is dated May 93 so maybe thats the first year these forms came out. Interesting yours has the Form 466 for standard Life Preservers, such as the LPU-2, 3 and 10 with the mention of a LH and RH bladder etc. but your LPU does have older dates.

post-11373-0-41207500-1399235011.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Thanks very much mohawk!

An interesting form your, case in my LPU-9/P is s/n #02713 while your is #03193. Suppose thus, they are spaced with only 480 specimens of LPU-9/P between? At least in regard to the outside fabric case. Thanks again for your interest - Franco.

• 5 months later...

Just took on the camera yesterday, for a few shots wich hopefully could go on a Italian magazine.

So, I thought exploiting by having this F-16 guy handy for a.. say, some sort of souvenir shot together with my MiG-25 driver he has got earlier :D :D .

The "bad guy" ejected to safety, and here the two are posing for the photos ah ah...

post-151851-0-44917900-1414504054.jpg

Here they are, all smiles for the press after the "diplomatic incident"... :unsure: ready for next showdown!!!

post-151851-0-34009700-1414504099.jpg

Thanks for watching !!!

• 9 months later...
BlueBookGuy

hello,

after much searching I'd have found eventually the last piece for the guy, even though technically an airplane's part much more than pilot's personal equipment. Even less a piece of "clothing" but the whole pilot is now in this category.

While wainting for the pictures, I was wondering if anyone of users does know the answer: it's the trio of hoses/cables a pilot will find at right-side of his ACES seat - comprising the main oxy.hose, the secondary smaller oxy. hose (for the emergency bottle) and the comm. cable with plug. The former two will connect to CRU-60/P clipped at right chest harness, cable of course will have the U-174/U jack of the MBU mask attached.

The whole should make a great look when hanging from the pilot (even if standing, not in seated posture).

My question is, does anyone know whether this cable is correct showing itself in greenish plastic material (so would seem) instead of the usual black rubber or similar? All is described as correct, with some keepers retaining the three items together. Photos I found of cockpits are not well detailed but the cable looks invariably black color, I'd say.

Please any idea? Item is described as being of an ACES seat from the '70s (not indication what the airplane) so it could be not uncorrect.

Thanks.

BlueBookGuy

Went for one more check on a book of mine, picturing a F-16 pilot taken from above and front, the three items are visible (not the highest quality) being already clipped to harness' dove-tailed bracket - comm. cable is indeed a bit thinner, and gloss black in color. Nothing greenish or having a dull, plastic-like look.

Thanks so much if anyone might confirm those "anomalies" as not really uncorrect, perhaps in ACES seats other than for the F-16.