WWII M-3 Knife - Who does restoration of the handle?

Quest Master

Quest Master

I have a WWII M-3 Knife made by Imperial. The leather handle needs to be replaced. Is there anyone who is doing this professionally, and if so - who do you recommend?

Thanks,

Van

Going to be honest, unless it's a good or better condition blade dated or blade marked example, I wouldn't bother. The other exception is if it was a knife family carried during the war. Otherwise, I'd dump to put the cash towards a nicer example that is original. There's a fellow in east TX that buys almost every beat up knife I've ever tried to sell I would be happy to get you in contact if you want to sell it to see what he would offer. He does restorations but I've never seen the end result of what he's purchased off of me.

Quest Master

Yes, it is a blade marked example. And I'm still interested in seeing some prices and results from folks who have had it done. Any vendors that sell just replacement grips?

When Camillus was still in business (until about 5 years ago?), they used to refer this kind of work to this gentleman:

The Knife Doctor - Knife Repair & Restoration

Mr. Eugene Blankenship

30 James Burrow Rd.

Milan, TN 38358

phone: 731-723-7575

email: [email protected]

Not sure if he is still doing it, but he was supposed to do superior work for a fair price. Please, let us know how you do with this information.

HTH.

Quest Master

Mr. Eugene Blankenship does not do the work anymore. I contacted him.

Yes, my knife has a tight pommel. I bought this knife a while back. The previous owner had already removed and put the knife back together with leather washers, and the work is very well done. BUT, the leather washers were never cut down to the correct contour, they are all the same size. The pommel was put back on very well.

Mr. Eugene Blankenship does not do the work anymore. I contacted him.

Van,

Thanks for letting us know...bummer! :-( Did he give you any leads as to whom may do this kind of work?

I have a WWII M-3 Knife made by Imperial. The leather handle needs to be replaced. Is there anyone who is doing this professionally, and if so - who do you recommend?

Thanks,

Van

A couple of years ago, a mom brought in to the knife shop I worked at a Mk2 that her father had carried in the pacific. Her son loved the knife, one of his most valued memories of his GrandPa. But the handle was a mess and getting worse with handling. She wanted it rebuilt as an Xmas present to her son. I did this one the easy way, and a week later, her son opened his gift, and was thrilled. I'm not trying to drum up business for myself, as I only do such work for myself anymore. I cleaned up the blade only a bit. Getting all the pits, scratches and stains out would have removed steel- the heart of any knife. Is a skinned cat, still a cat?

Before:

001349.jpg

007216.jpg

After:

002317.jpg

008194.jpg

Pommel: A guy on ebay is selling never used Utica m3 pommels, drilled and with the pin included (and properly stamped with the flaming bomb. I don't know if he drilled them himself, as I have never seen a Utica with a pinned pommel.

Anyway, I told the OP I would tell him how to rebuild the M3 handle the easy way, and here it is. Buy a newly made Camillus or Ontario reproduction. Remove the peened pommel. Then set the knife in a vise not very tight, point down, Just tap the tang and the knife will slide down, the washers comming off. Use a punch on the pommel if need be. Stack the removed washers exactly as they come off. Remove the pommel of your old knife, slide on the washers in correct order, and use the pommel off your repro. Quick and easy. And exactly how I rebuilt Grandpa's knife.