Audie Murphy's medals-strange looking Bronze Star

agate hunter

agate hunter

Hey everyone, in looking at some well known images of Audie Murphy displaying his medals, his Bronze Star looks strange. The medal looks like a Silver Star, in that it has a wreath of some sort on the center. Maybe someone can shed some light on why his BSM looks strange.

post-10495-0-54647400-1394909650.jpg

post-10495-0-19970900-1394909694.jpg

dhcoleterracina

Clearly a Silver Star on a Bronze Star ribbon. Great observation that I've never noticed. I also vote "because he's Audie Murphy".

• 2 years later...
lakenormanusa

Hey everyone, in looking at some well known images of Audie Murphy displaying his medals, his Bronze Star looks strange. The medal looks like a Silver Star, in that it has a wreath of some sort on the center. Maybe someone can shed some light on why his BSM looks strange.

I just discovered this post, so for those of you who have seen my BS post before, (no pun intended ;)

please forgive, but...

Lookie what I found!

post-125711-0-47560800-1462848925.jpg

post-125711-0-90589300-1462848973.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
lakenormanusa

Wow, very cool. Where'd you find that medal at?

I found it on ebay a couple months ago. It was so odd that I decided to post it on the forum. A user pointed out that it matched Audie Murphy's Bronze Star. (possibly the user saw your post.) I was surprised when I saw the photo of Audie wearing the same type of medal. I have searched Bronze Star's on the internet and have yet to see another one like it. I have posted about it twice on the forum. Both posts have a combined number of 1245 views, yet no one has commented or posted a photo of one, which in and of itself should be a testament to the medal's rarity. This also open's up the topic of Audie's medals in general. I have only seen 2 actual photos of Audie wearing his medals (not including the colorized print from the magazine) I assume all 3 photos were taken/staged at the same time/location. One of my main questions is, were the medals used for these photos Audie's actual issued medals, or were they put together and used solely for the photo shoot? Maybe his entire uniform was customized and prepared for these photos. It would be interesting to know the behind the scenes story.

Below are the links to my posts.

There was a very interesting discussion between forum members.

Here is the link to my original post about the medal.

(the photos I used in this post were the actual one's from the auction)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/262298-wwii-silver-star-medal-unusual-manufacturer-mismatched-ribbon/

Here is the link to the second post.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/266342-audie-murphys-bronze-star/