A Sherman For A Backdrop!

Ches-Gen-4

Hey Guys,

Been working on a new diorama since December and didn't want to give away the theme of it until it was ready.

The M4A3 Sherman kit from Tamiya will be used as a backdrop to the scene played out in front. I did put a

fair amount of time into this model so I thought it deserved a little exposure before I complete the diorama which will be

completed soon.

Here is a photo of the kit used for this model.

tam_35122_title_zps5c6dcd10.jpg

And here are the photos of the completed M4A3. Some modifications made were purely for my enjoyment and may not be historically accurate.

050_zpsfe9fb4a3.jpg

040_zps9fd0a30b.jpg

Here is a little pre paint photo of the above.

002_zps4d1975b4.jpg

Proud Kraut

All I can say is WOW! That's how a perfect Sherman model should look like IMHO. I really like the weathering of the tank and the amount of detail improvements. I also like the signs of use like the damages of the rubber wheels and the missing track extensions (term?). How did you do the red mud, did you use pigments? Thanks for sharing these Sherman pics, can't wait to see the whole dio!!!

Lars

Thanks Lars, to make the mud, I simply mix Arm & Hammer Baking Soda which is a fine powder into the thicker hobby acrylic paints like they use to paint ceramics. Just dab it on and wipe away where you don't want it. Bob

strawberry 9

Awesome! Can't wait to see the finished dio. I think painting/weathering is my favorite part of the process. It's amazing what life you can bring into the model.

Very nice weathering - realistically executed. The mud tones also help to connect it to the cobblestone base. Can't wait to see the rest...

Proud Kraut

Excellent work! I have been thinking about a Sherman project myself!

JD

Why not posting your project's progress in another thread here step by step? Would like to see your's as well!

Regards

Lars

First off, thank you all for the very nice complements on my model. :)

I did a lot of research and watched loads of modeling videos on Youtube to try to get techniques and

the colors right and especially the weathering. I could have quit a month ago and had a fresh looking,

right out of the shops Sherman but nooooooo, I wanted to make it look well used.

That means lots of washes, and dry brushing and rewashing. Don't forget, I'm old school and

am doing all this painting with Model Master enamels and no chalks or pigments. Only craft type Acrylics were used for the mud.

It's not that I don't like the acrylics and as a matter of fact may try do my next project with all acrylics just to see how it goes.

There's just something about the smell of Mineral Spirits.....(( :)))

All the details for the diorama are coming together this week. I am excited to start taking photos...just a few more things to do. Bob

Lars, you got it brother! I will do just that, but I wanted to do it after the unveiling.

I didn't take tons of photos but I do have pictures of most of the steps of construction

and will be glad to outline how I built the diorama.

Since I feel like I came up with something a little different, something that I hadn't seen

before, I wanted to show the finished model first, then we can talk about how I did it. Bob