1950s Assault boat coxswain jumper

subsystem4

I don't usually buy post WWII jumper but this one was right up my alley. The USS Okanogan was an APA that served from 1944 to 1968. The jumper looks like middle 50s from the large one piece tag under the collar. It has an early, more medium blue than dark blue/black, ships tab, an assault boat coxswain distinguishing mark with a E above it on the right sleeve and a Boatswain's mate striker and seaman 1st class stripes on the left sleeve. It is named so I am going to see if I can find any info online. I am guessing the guy was a landing craft coxswain or crew member sometime between Korea and Vietnam.

-Jay

post-2035-0-12118300-1394893269.jpg

After 1949, there were no more Seaman First Class. He would have been simply Seaman. His rate would have been officially written as BMSN for Boatswains Mate Seaman. He may also be listed as SN. Definitely used between '58 when the UIMs were adopted, and 1968 when the ship was decommissioned. Love the fully patched jumpers. The Assault Boat Coxswain patch was coveted and hard to get, lots of hours in a boat under all sorts of conditions. Even after these were officially dropped by the Navy, many Cox'ns continued to wear them, and Gator Bo's'uns continued to award them, getting the patches made up in local shops. I have two that are regulation issue, post '75 when they had been dropped.

I crewed assault boats for a couple of years, and it is anything but an easy job. A crew can easily spend 20+ hours a day in their boat for days on end, running to and from the beach, handle cargo, plus do the maintenance on it and clean it. Oh yeah, and stand their regular shipboard watches too. It's a young mans job for sure. Great jumper!

After 1949, there were no more Seaman First Class. He would have been simply Seaman. His rate would have been officially written as BMSN for Boatswains Mate Seaman. He may also be listed as SN. Definitely used between '58 when the UIMs were adopted, and 1968 when the ship was decommissioned. Love the fully patched jumpers. The Assault Boat Coxswain patch was coveted and hard to get, lots of hours in a boat under all sorts of conditions. Even after these were officially dropped by the Navy, many Cox'ns continued to wear them, and Gator Bo's'uns continued to award them, getting the patches made up in local shops. I have two that are regulation issue, post '75 when they had been dropped.

I crewed assault boats for a couple of years, and it is anything but an easy job. A crew can easily spend 20+ hours a day in their boat for days on end, running to and from the beach, handle cargo, plus do the maintenance on it and clean it. Oh yeah, and stand their regular shipboard watches too. It's a young mans job for sure. Great jumper!

Thanks for the info! I am a not as knowledgeable about the post WWII rating structure as i probably should be.

I love the Gator navy stuff.

-Jay

• 1 year later...

Curious, I'm noting that one Hashmark, so while it was no doubt kinda common during WWII, in the 50s-60s would it be common for an EM of this junior rank to be in four or more years without making PO 3rd Class?

Curious, I'm noting that one Hashmark, so while it was no doubt kinda common during WWII, in the 50s-60s would it be common for an EM of this junior rank to be in four or more years without making PO 3rd Class?

. Oh yes, actually pretty common. While it COULD be the result of disciplinary action, many Sailors just did not advance that quickly. The Navy did not have an "Up or out" policy at that time. Some rates had slow advanvment and some guys chose not to advance. I was on a frigate in 1975. We had a BMSN. Who had been on that ship almost 12 years. He had never been busted and was an outstanding Sailor. He knew everything there was to know about that ship. He simply had no desire to advance beyond "Leading Seaman". The Navy was happy to leave him there. They got a highly skilled Sailor for E-3 pay

• 3 weeks later...
David Minton

Any idea what one of these Coxswain's patches in gold thread would be?

Thanks

I have one as well. It is yellow thread, rather than gold bullion or wire.

post-132988-0-48682000-1429559381.jpg

• 4 years later...

The gold coxswain patch was given the the best amphibious ship in the fleet for 5 years in a row who had the best overall boat group during amphibious operations. I was in the USS Washburn AKA108 LCM6 boat group in 1968 and we got to wear the Gold Coxswain patch on our right sleeve dress uniform. Also the ship displayed it on the outside of the bridge for everyone to see.

The gold coxswain patch was given the the best amphibious ship in the fleet for 5 years in a row who had the best overall boat group during amphibious operations. I was in the USS Washburn AKA108 LCM6 boat group in 1968 and we got to wear the Gold Coxswain patch on our right sleeve dress uniform. Also the ship displayed it on the outside of the bridge for everyone to see.

. Thats Outstanding! I never knew that! I didnt get to my first Gator until 1980. By then, all those cool patches had been abolished. I remember painting the Assault Boat award on the bridge wing, but never saw the patch. Im thinking it was much like other Unofficial patches we wore, like the Comm guys Green C. Never Official, Worn with Pride.

MastersMate

In the FWIW department concerning distinguishing marks.

In the very early 1970s an article in All Hands magazine described the new USN coat and tie uniform that was being introduced for everyone in the Navy. One tidbit noted that the sewn on distinguishing marks were not considered appropriate for display on the coat and tie style uniform and they were going to be eliminated. Kind of follows along with the time line creation of a lot of the "pin on" qualification devices.

If you want to research out the dates I'd bet the creation of the "E" ribbon, for example, is close to the adoption date of the new USN uniform. The enlisted PQS for the SWE insignia covered many of the deck type distinguishing marks.

In the FWIW department concerning distinguishing marks.

In the very early 1970s an article in All Hands magazine described the new USN coat and tie uniform that was being introduced for everyone in the Navy. One tidbit noted that the sewn on distinguishing marks were not considered appropriate for display on the coat and tie style uniform and they were going to be eliminated. Kind of follows along with the time line creation of a lot of the "pin on" qualification devices.

If you want to research out the dates I'd bet the creation of the "E" ribbon, for example, is close to the adoption date of the new USN uniform. The enlisted PQS for the SWE insignia covered many of the deck type distinguishing marks.

. You are exactly correct. I was actually a bit miffed by it too. I earned an E, had it sewn on under my UIM, had my ASE3 crow, in the process of converting to SM, looking forward to earning the Expert Lookout quail patch. Then, they changed our uniforms and got rid of all the cool stuff. Then started creating new ribbons and pin on badges. Never liked all that pin on junk.

Salvage Sailor

The 1973 uniform as cited - the detested "Doorman" or "Ice Cream Vendor" uniform jacket

1973 uniform 001.jpg

1973 uniform 002.jpg

The 1973 uniform as cited - the detested "Doorman" or "Ice Cream Vendor" uniform jacket

. I held out until the last minute buying this thing, many, mid 1975. Hated it. It always looked like trash after being stuffed in a shipboard locker. Anyway, when we went back to the jumper uniforms, I hung onto this. When I made Chief, I converted it all over, so it wasnt a total waste. Just wish, that when they went back to the jumpers, they had revived the qual patches too.

Salvage Sailor

When you google this jacket on the net, this photo of a squid comes up........

SMC Hesson.jpg

David Minton

Thanks for the great answer. I was reading this thread with great interest, and half way through thought I was sure I had one of the gold patches as well. Then saw my four year old post ;-)

When you google this jacket on the net, this photo of a squid comes up........

. BWAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! My sister always says I look like a NAZI in that photo ?

. BWAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! My sister always says I look like a NAZI in that photo ?

Probably more-so in the Johnny Cashes!

Love this pic! Back when it was a COMPANY COMMANDER, and it was Aye Aye Sir, first and last thing out of your !@#$%^ pipe! :D

post-2322-0-05414800-1564422525.jpg

That's a sad HT :( LOL

. What about that poor PN3! 16+ years! Nothing but a National Defence and a shooting ribbon! Must have been a Reserve.

Salvage Sailor

. What about that poor PN3! 16+ years! Nothing but a National Defence and a shooting ribbon! Must have been a Reserve.

That's one more than many sailors received in the 1970's