How to Preserve Pocket Bible & Restore Framed Portrait?

RockinRecon

RockinRecon

Could anyone here please help me with information or advice on how to preserve a pocket Bible my Grandpa carried through WWII & how to restore framed portrait of my Grandpa not long after he volunteered for service in WWII. The little Bible obviously was in rough outdoor & weather conditions when my Grandpa carried it and it is very old now and is literally starting to fall apart. What would be some of the best ways to preserve it and keep it safe and from falling apart anymore? The wooden picture frame has an Eagle at the top which somehow over the years has had the head broken off of the Eagle. Could I get a wood carver to carve an Eagle's head to match the Eagle on the frame and then attach the carved head to the frame by glueing it or something? Here are pice of both of these items, the first pic is of the Bible and the 2nd is the framed portrait. I really, really apreciate any help at all with this. Thank You.

post-118253-0-47131700-1394860687.jpgpost-118253-0-37037000-1394860734.jpg

Thanks Again.

strawberry 9

For the bible I would suggest storing it much like you would a comic book. I would get an archival backing board and sleeve and store it in a safe place where it won't be exposed to light, moisture or be shuffled around a lot. The boards and bags are made so that they won't damage the paper. If you have a local comic book store check with them. The bags come in various sizes. As for the frame, I would leave it as is if it were me. If you had the original head I might reattach it but not a replacement. Just my opinion.

RockinRecon

For the bible I would suggest storing it much like you would a comic book. I would get an archival backing board and sleeve and store it in a safe place where it won't be exposed to light, moisture or be shuffled around a lot. The boards and bags are made so that they won't damage the paper. If you have a local comic book store check with them. The bags come in various sizes. As for the frame, I would leave it as is if it were me. If you had the original head I might reattach it but not a replacement. Just my opinion.

Thanks Very Much for thinformation!

• 2 months later...
peterson45

It second that, you really don't want to be putting new things on the frame because in doing so you are covering up a piece of its history.