WWII MKII Frag Crate with canisters

Dirt Detective

Dirt Detective

I believe this crate with the phillip head screws to be 100% original WWII production. The one crate posted in post #24 looks to be the same manufacture as post #20 and it also has Phillips. I dont think there is enough known about crate manufacturing during WWII to say one way or the other.

I read up on the Phillips screw they were typically used in a high torque application and the patient to use was applied for in 1940 from the screw manufacturer's

I've found Vietnam ammo crates open and re-inspected in the 1980s and 90s and same could had happen in the 1950s the lost, lose missing screws could well beens replaced in the crates when re-inspected with Phillips because the slotted you can't get the torque on them as good? More research?

Quest Master

Ahhhh.....the Philips Screw discussion. :D What you you have there Dirt Detective is not a Philips Screw head. Let me explain: while true, the development of the Phillips style screw head was made prior to WWII, wide spread use was not integrated into military production until after WWII. The Frearson screw drive, also known as the Reed and Prince screw, is similar to a Phillips, but the Frearson has a more pointed 75° V shape. Most mis-identify the "X" screw head in 1940s military items as a Phillips, but it is actually a Reed and Prince....and 100% correct.

Hey Guys,

Thought you would like to see this grenade crate I just got. I already did a post at new acquisition's. so will keep these pics. Check out the thread..hope you like. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/204147-rare-mkii-grenade-crate-with-all-canisters/

attachicon.gifbox1.JPG

I would not call that "super"

I would call it "Super-Duper". I've never even seen a photo that looks that good.

Dirt Detective

Ahhhh.....the Philips Screw discussion. :D What you you have there Dirt Detective is not a Philips Screw head. Let me explain: while true, the development of the Phillips style screw head was made prior to WWII, wide spread use was not integrated into military production until after WWII. The Frearson screw drive, also known as the Reed and Prince screw, is similar to a Phillips, but the Frearson has a more pointed 75° V shape. Most mis-identify the "X" screw head in 1940s military items as a Phillips, but it is actually a Reed and Prince....and 100% correct.

Yes..fantastic info...was no doubt in my mind this last box was 100% orig. :)

• 4 years later...
Dirt Detective

I found something interesting on an original old WWII practice mine crate...this crate had both reed and prince and slot screws on the same box.  A couple pics to show reed & prince were used in WWII.

1aabbcrate4.JPG

1aabbcrate3.JPG

1aabbcrate2.JPG

1aabbcrate1.JPG