USAAF Display : Spitfire Pilot, 31st FG, Thelepte, Tunisia, May 1943

Blue Leader

Blue Leader

Here's a still life evoking a Spitfire MkVIII pilot of the 31st Fighter Group in Tunisia in May 1943 before the invasion of Sicily and Italy.
The outfit consists of a chino set, officer shirt, tie and pants on which was placed a RAF Mae West. The headgear includes a RAF Type C flying helmet, a Type E* oxygen mask and MkVII flying goggles.

dsc_0421.jpg

dsc_0422.jpg

dsc_0429.jpg

BlueBookGuy

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Already did you think about how many pilots you will make, once found the correct mannequinns? More than my "half squadron" I believe... :D :D :D

As always, a flawless display Blue !!

Beachmaster

Superb stuff as always, never seen a Mae West look so crisp, lovely Major's leaves on the collar.

Thanks for sharing Mathieu.

Great collection! Thanks for posting! However check your references for the correct positioning of the A.C. collar device. Bobgee

Hello Mathieu, could you please detail the pattern 1941 vest? the pockets and accessories. I have not found any references that get into much detail on these vests. Thanks

Super stuff Mathieu ,The Type E series mask are among My favourites , that's a super nice example .

as usual quality collection Sir .

Blue Leader

Here some details on the RAF Mae West Pattern 41 : bladder, kapok, dye marker, skull cap, heliograph, dinghy connector, floatting light and battery housing , life line.

img_0126.jpg

img_0127.jpg

img_0128.jpg

img_0129.jpg

img_0130.jpg

img_0131.jpg

img_0132.jpg

img_0133.jpg

img_0134.jpg

excellent , thank you! I have most all the accessories for the vest except the life line and of course the vest. What does the RAF sea marker look like ? I'm seeing just the pocket?