Nurse's Uniform Group

wildcat123

wildcat123

I picked this up today at an auction. Someone took the collar brass from the Ike Jacket (either reclaimed by the family before the auction, or stolen during viewing), but other than that a pretty neat group. The patch is embroidered on felt and the LT bars are marked London with a firm I can't quite make out. The OD cape is in decent shape (no markings that I can find). Both named to Lt Mary DeWolf. Let me know what you think, I don't know a lot about Nurses uniforms. Enjoy.

post-1095-1211672811.jpg

post-1095-1211672833.jpg

post-1095-1211672862.jpg

post-1095-1211672869.jpg

post-1095-1211672878.jpg

post-1095-1211672939.jpg

Brian Keith

Brit made jacket for sure.

The OD capes were only issued to Nurses sent overseas, the blue with red capes were worn in CONUS.

Very nice set!

BKW

• 10 months later...
fraukriegbaum
Brit made jacket for sure.

The OD capes were only issued to Nurses sent overseas, the blue with red capes were worn in CONUS.

Very nice set!

BKW

I have blue with red cape. Please tell me what is CONUS? Thanks.

fraukriegbaum
COntinental United States

Thank you.

I don't know very much about this things. I just started collecting stuff last year when i went for the first time at my husband's reenactment. I saw a young lady wearing a Navy uniform i think....and i started getting/collecting women's uniform for our 3 girls....

I have now 2 complete dress uniform of a flight nurse from WWII to Korea along with her papaers from her Aviation medical school till her retirement from service.

I know more about ARC uniforms. I have 4 different Corps uniform of Red Cross.

Again, thank you for the information.

i confirm the jacket is also British made

the tailors there use to machine type on a piece of white cloth their products

You've done a very nice grab thumbsup.gif

to my opinion it's worth working on it to have it complete (inisgnas, skirt etc ...)

Looks like an excellent uniform you have there. British made jackets like this one are very wanted.

It shouldn't be a problem of refitting it with the necessary collar devices (US & ANC winged caduceus)

Nice score!!

• 1 month later...
fortworthgal

I am new to this forum, but have been collecting and researching US women's WWII military uniforms for a few years now.

That is a very nice find! Yes, that jacket is commonly known as the "ETO jacket" and they were all British-made (it was modeled after the jackets worn by the British ATS, once the Nurses and WACs in England had no good working uniforms for the European climate). The OD capes are also more difficult to find than the blue capes. The OD cape would be worn with rank and caduceus on the collar, worn over the brown and white seersucker dress. This uniform was initially only issued to Nurses going overseas, as it was easier to launder and care for than the stark white indoor hospital uniform, but later it was authorized for all Army Nurses and then replaced the white indoor uniform with blue cape (I believe in mid-1944).