Paramarine Jump Wings

American Heritage

American Heritage, on 13 Mar 2014 - 3:17 PM, said:

Has anyone actually seen the Wosk hoard in person?

I've seen the Wosk sisters (or at least one or the other), does that count?

Was she barefoot? :D

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who has seen the hoard. Even Bob Chatt tried and got nowhere.

I thought I might clarify on the lotting of junk insignia for everyone as I'm sure people are saying, "heck, I wouldn't have minded a few buttons to get what I want." Pretend that you want a Navy Navigator's wing and the running value is $300. The sisters would sell you the wing for $300, but in order for you to buy it, you had to buy two Son in service pins at $15 each, a set of Navy buttons for $25, four USN cook rates for Z$5 each, and a CPO's cap badge for $25. There was no just buying the Navigator wing. So, that Navigator wing just cost you $400 if you consider the rest a "throw in."

On the jump wings, If you bought 3 wings, they were $30, each, at four wings, the price dropped to $28, at seven wings, they went to $25, and at ten wings they went to $23. So, if you bought ten wings, how much did they cost? If you said $230, you weren't dealing with the Wosks. The answer is $30+$30+$30+$28+$28+$28+$25+$25+25+$23. You total was $272. AND THERE WAS NO ROUNDING DOWN TO $270!

Good times!

Allan

On one hand, it makes good business sense. If they just sold the "good" items, they would have run out of their big ticket items years ago, and then would be stuck with tons of slow moving, hard to sell, low value chotskies and dodads. This way, they kind of keep everything moving along. They are very honest about that, you got to pay to play with them! Still, if you really wanted a hard to find, cost is no barrier, 100% vintage, mint in box, unused, new old stock rare item, then they would be hard to beat for some items. As a collector looking to add a special item to your collection, they are great. As a dealer, maybe looking to make a few bucks off of them down the road, not so much.

On the other hand, as far as I can see, they don't offer any really attractive deals that makes buying from them all that wonderful, so you may as well support one of the other "main-steam" militaria dealers who maybe you can work a discount or trade into the mix. Plus, you can always sit around and share stories with the dealers.

I see dealing with them as just an additional sales tax added on for dubious reasons by some crazy person for their own ends that you have to pay or else, but who's ulitmate purpose is to make your life harder and more expensive to enjoy. But, to be fair, that can describe ALL of our tax system here in California. :D

Nice! How much was it boxed? Is it a hollow chute and are there any markings in the back of these wings please?

Hollow chute, pin-back, drop-in catch with Amico hallmark. Looking at the patina and aging on the reverse, it appears some of these boxed new-old stock items may have picked up some moisture during their seventy years in hibernation.

IMG_4901_crop.jpg

American Heritage

Well I live about 5 minutes from Gillespie (in fact I picked up a patient from there earlier tonight) and Camp Gillespie is not very close to Broadway in downtown San Diego... Even with today's modern freeway system it takes about 20 - 30 minutes to get there without traffic. But that shop was one of the most popular for uniform items for all branches during the war here in SD.

thanks for mentioning this...

by looking at google maps from the air, it looks like the original foundations of the Camp Elliott buildings are still there? Just east of Miramar. Actually, it looks like the foundations are in-between the highways too. Anyone been down on the ground there to see these ruins? If not, maybe you could give us a recon report and take some photos. It looks like you can get in there by going to Camp Elliott Rd.

If you search "Camp Elliot Rd, San Diego CA" in google maps - then slide a bit to the south west you can see the foundations. They are adjacent to Highway 15 (Escondido Fwy). This is what I think is old Camp Elliot?

Also, it appears that they had their own PX so the wings could have been sold there as well.

post-10864-0-03501200-1395173547.jpg

post-10864-0-40577100-1395173557.jpg

post-10864-0-30388500-1395173617.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
American Heritage

Here are some of my Wosk old stock. Where else can you shop from a WW2 Army/Navy store and get some original near-mint militaria? A good and fun investment in my opinion! Thanks Donna Wosk!

post-10864-0-22045000-1396720599.jpg

• 6 years later...

Hi - I am reaching out to 'American Heritage' because I recently came across a post of his/hers from 2014 that showed (s)he had collected various military artifacts from a PVC Frank E. Holec.  That Frank Holec happened to be my uncle.  Of course, I had never met him but when I saw his photo show up on this website, I knew it was him from seeing his photo in my mother and grandmother's homes all my life.  I grew up in Yakima, where he did as well, but I no longer live there, however I am still in Washington State.  I have no interest in your collection, but would love to know anything more you can share.  I was so surprised by your postings that I had to join this website and thread in order to hopefully contact you. Please reply if you have time.  I would love to hear from you.  Linda