Was asbestos ever used in WWI equipment?

David D

I have heard from various recourses that say that asbestos was used in WWI equipment. I heard that it was used in gas masks, In M1917 helmets and possibly uniforms. I don't really think it is true but if it is please tell me if it is because I am really wondering. Thanks,

-Dave

I have to say the same thing. On the helmets it was the white piece of cloth between the wool pad and the helmet. I've heard that it was used in the canister of the gas masks, but I can't verify that for sure.

Mike

5thwingmarty

The asbestos in the helmets is more like a thick piece of paper than cloth. At least one brand of cigarettes used asbestos in their filters for a time, so it is possible they used it in the filters of the gas masks.

WWII veterans were much more likely than WWI veterans to to have been exposed to asbestos, because it was relatively new for construction in WWI and was not yet required for use in Navy ships.

teufelhunde.ret

I have heard from various recourses that say that asbestos was used in WWI equipment. I heard that it was used in gas masks, In M1917 helmets and possibly uniforms. I don't really think it is true but if it is please tell me if it is because I am really wondering. Thanks,

-Dave

It's been around since the Civil War, you bet it was!!!

teufelhunde.ret

?.. gas masks.

-Dave

Yes, any form of personal PPE, weapons handling, contained asbestos; ships were the worst.

5thwingmarty

If you google WWII gas mask asbestos there are several hits, including photos of a canister that has been opened to reveal the asbestos layer.

I have been working as a consultant for asbestos in buildings for many years and had never heard about it being used as a filter media in a gas mask. I'm not sure what good it would have done as asbestos has no natural absorptive properties. Its just a fibrous mineral.

SergeantMajorGray

Suggest you do some research!

Where does your research say this? From what I have read they contained chemical absorbing materials mostly charcoal. Here is a diagram of the contents http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=79797

WW2 filters contained asbestos it's been proven but I have found no proof anywhere of WW1 British and American filters containing them. That said WW1 filters are still not safe to breath.

So for those helmet collectors out there, do you do anything special to make sure your WWI helmets are safe to display? I have one which still has the complete liner / pad on the inside, and it normally sits unmoved on a helmet stand. Is there anything to be concerned about if the asbestos is still under the wool pad? Should it be stored or displayed in a certain way?

-- Jon

SergeantMajorGray

So for those helmet collectors out there, do you do anything special to make sure your WWI helmets are safe to display? I have one which still has the complete liner / pad on the inside, and it normally sits unmoved on a helmet stand. Is there anything to be concerned about if the asbestos is still under the wool pad? Should it be stored or displayed in a certain way?

-- Jon

As long as the wool is in good shape it's fine.

-- Jon

Dont eat it.......... ;):lol:

Seriously

This topic comes up a couple times a year.The small exposure level to the material in the liner isnt going to cause major problems.In reality there are more items in your home(including radon gas) that will cause more issues long term.Probably more junk in the drinking water than you really want to know about.Wood dust from sanding,older forms of fiber glass insulation,lead based paint when sanded,paint and varnish strippers etc all are not good.Not to mention the cancer and other medical problems that will kill us long before a pad in a WW1 helmet will.

Just saying with any thing you handle a little care goes a long way.Wear nitril or vinyl gloves if you want and a dust nask when handling and then wash your hands etc after wards and there isnt to much else you can do.

If they were dangerous the WWI Vets that wore them would have died young. Most of the WWI vets I knew lived into their 70's, 80's, and 90's. OMG, they were younger than I am now, when I knew some of them as a kid.

Dont eat it.......... ;):lol:

Seriously

Well, there goes my plan for the afternoon! Is it still OK to eat the shell? Good source of iron and minerals, from what I've heard... ;)

Seriously, though, thanks all for the advice. I wasn't overly concerned with it, but I figured I should ask someone with more experience handling them. I worked for a few years in a building that hadn't really been updated since its construction in 1963, so I'm sure all the asbestos in there was more of a hazard than a few helmets lying around.

P-40Warhawk

Don't forget the gloves that were issued in WWI for handling hot items.