M1881 Helmet cord help

I just finished putting together an M1881 Cavalry Officer helmet, but don't know the correct way to loop the left side cords through the scroll and ring. My setup looks really cheezy, so could someone please explain the proper way, preferably with closeup photos? I have the Chappell and Langellier books, but still can't tell clearly.

• 2 months later...
horsecavalry
Here's a pix of what I did with my 1881 officer's helmet cord.
It's been a long time since I set this up but I think the cord came as one piece and I cut / separated the cord so that it was in two parts, the helmet section and the longer section that loops around the body. I slipped the helmet portion into the split rings on the helmet and then sewed the cord together. I added a brass hook to the longer section so that the cord could be attached/detached easily.
I did the same with my enlisted version of the 1872 helmet.
Based on my research, many troops (enlisted and officer) did this to the cord so that they could remove the helmet completely when in uniform.
Both of my helmets and their cords are reproductions.
Hope this helps.
Couldn't get the pix to upload so here's a link to it.
post-9906-0-48225100-1401234963.jpg

• 2 months later...

I think this is one I can help with...is that a gold bullion Officer's cord? If so, it's a very nice cord, but doesn't go with that enlisted cavalry helmet. The enlisted cord would be run through the ring as a loop, then the ring would have been reattached to the metal loop. I'll see if I can't upload some pictures from my collection for you.

Here we go--had to look up how to upload the picture. The pictures with the gold cord show an Officer's method of attaching the suspension. The red cord is an enlisted artillery helmet. The doubled up one is the side of the helmet with the tassel.

post-153900-0-12069600-1407703724.jpgpost-153900-0-46964200-1407703782.jpg