Have an original WW2 photo featuring a vehicle? Post it here!

earlymb

Hookemhorns88

As promised a couple of more shots of some 2nd ID 15th FA ambulances taken in the late 1930's at Ft. Sam Houston. The soldier in the campaign hat is my great-uncle who enlisted in 1937 and retired from the service in 1962. He served as a medic during WWII with the 103rd ID.

post-147204-0-24870900-1396555363.jpg

post-147204-0-16006000-1396555364.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As promised a couple of more shots of some 2nd ID 15th FA ambulances taken in the late 1930's at Ft. Sam Houston. The soldier in the campaign hat is my great-uncle who enlisted in 1937 and retired from the service in 1962. He served as a medic during WWII with the 103rd ID.

attachicon.gif2ID 15FA MD Amb JJM.jpg

attachicon.gif2ID 15FA MD Amb.jpg

Hookem:

Your photo of the 1-1/2-ton Chevy Ambulance is a rare bird to catch on film! Ralph Doubek had restored one of these but had a devil of a time finding images to support the restoration.

post-949-0-98573400-1397681104.jpg

Thanks for sharing your photos!

John A-G

Salvage Sailor

21st Infantry Regiment, Hawaiian Division, 1930's

Interesting license plate but it came from the motor pool and the DUI on the drivers campaign hat is the 21st Regiment

IMG_0063.jpg

21st Infantry Motor Park

21st Infantry 051.jpg

1937? Dodge truck with suicide doors

21st Infantry 052b.jpg

21st Infantry 053b.jpg

21st Infantry Regiment motor park officer

21st Infantry 002.jpg

More 21st IR - Hawaiian Division

21st Infantry 055b.jpg

More 21st IR

21st Infantry 054b.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Switching Regiments - 27th Infantry Wolfhounds - Hawaiian Division 1930's

076.jpg

077.jpg

More Wolfhounds

074.jpg

075.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Hawaiian Division Artillery

13th Field Artillery Battalion

078.jpg

13th Field Artillery

081.jpg

Can't overlook the triple-A

079.jpg

080.jpg

Salvage Sailor

How about some Coast Artillery?

41st CA Halftracks 1935

and a Fort Shafter 64th CA prime mover 1935

41st CA Schofield 1935 17a review halftracks 02.jpg

64th CA Schofield 1935 01b.jpg

How about some Coast Artillery?

41st CA Halftracks 1935

and a Fort Shafter 64th CA prime mover 1935

The halftracks are 1-ton GMC T4's; 22 were supplied in 1934 for use as wiring-laying trucks by the Signal Corps, as can be seen from the wire reel drums they have mounted.

Also notable in the pic with the 21st Infantry Regiment motor park officer is that the vehicle behind him has the metal plate with the registration number, starting with 'W' that was used well into 1942.

Salvage Sailor

Outstanding images of what appear to be a G7105/G7107 panel truck--this is a rare bird and difficult to find good period photos. The G7105, though, had a spare tire carrier mounted behind the driver's door, so i am not quite certain this is what the truck is. I have attached the only period image I have in my files of G7105s.

attachicon.gifG7105-Chevy-1.jpg

Keep 'em rolling,

John

(Editor, Military Vehicles Magazine and Military Trader)

Aloha John,

While trolling an old 2008 post on the USMF boards posted by Bob Hudson, I came across these "Drone Control" photos. Nice shots of another G7 105 with the attached generator trailer too.

There ya go.....

Drone Truck 01.jpg

Drone Truck 02.jpg

Drone Truck 03.jpg

Drone Truck 04.jpg

• 5 months later...

Going through some stuff and I found this photograph, the back is stamped in Russian and has a 1944 date.

The vehicle, I think is an early Willys, and I am guessing based on the heftier looking lift handles. Interestingly enough it must be one of the Lend / Lease vehicles America supplied to the Soviets.

A Russian officer is standing in the vehicle, an armed guard is in the distance and a line of German prisoners are passing by.

thanks for looking.

post-140407-0-12654200-1411680816.jpg

Johan Willaert

Yes, it looks like an early (slatgrill) Willys MB... You can tell by the high position of the rear reflectors which were lowered when the trailer socket was introduced...

• 4 weeks later...

These two shots came from a photo album that belonged to a Canadian stationed at the Annette Island Landing Field, in South East Alaska. The album had some pretty sever water damage, so I apologize in advance for the quality of the first shot. I cleaned it up the best I could. It was primarily RCAF stationed in Alaska, but some of the other photos lead me to believe these men were with an Anti Aircraft unit.

Seems to be a Willys. You can just make out the lifting rings on the front bumper, which I believe most if not all Canadian contract jeeps had.

Here is a jeep from the Persian Gulf Command . The driver is Ronald Sandeno, from Gardner Il. He spent the whole war running around Egypt, Iran (Persia) and into the Soviet Union making sure supplies got delivered. Side of jeep shows Arabic and Russia language ID markings.

post-629-0-52242900-1413989436.jpg

Here is a jeep from the Persian Gulf Command . The driver is Ronald Sandeno, from Gardner Il. He spent the whole war running around Egypt, Iran (Persia) and into the Soviet Union making sure supplies got delivered. Side of jeep shows Arabic and Russia language ID markings.

Interesting story! You can also barely make out the original blues-drab hoodmarkings, which were usually re-applied in white at unit level. In fact almost all jeeps left their factories with blue drap markings, this was only changed to white a few months before the end of production. I believe this is a Ford GPW.

Johan Willaert

Yes, it is a GPW, evidenced by the large holes in the front frame tips...

IIRC all GPWs left the factory with blue drab numbers, only late Willys MBs had white numbers from the factory...

Boy, I marvel at all the head room in that GPW photo above.. My head's touching the canvas in my GPW. Not really made for tall fellas....

Boy, I marvel at all the head room in that GPW photo above.. My head's touching the canvas in my GPW. Not really made for tall fellas....

Ronald was complaining in his letters about gaining so much weight, topping off at 131 lbs. I think he was very short if I can go by his sister, maybe just over 5 feet so he would make it look like a lot of room.