Have an original WW2 photo featuring a vehicle? Post it here!

earlymb

Hi all,

seeing all the great, original and unpublished WW2-era photo's being posted on this forum I thought it would be fun to have a topic with original photo's that feature vehicles. US military vehicles preferred, but personally I'm also very interested in other Allied and Axis vehicles. I'm sure there are loads of amazing photo's that are completely unknown. I'm sure there will also be interest in Korea- and Vietnam-era vehicles. ^_^

Other than just being nice to look at, pics posted here might also help with restoration projects! :)

I have a few to add. Firstly this photo is of my grandfather in his Jeep. Grandma told me he was a driver for a colonel. I assume this was after he returned to the states, when he was stationed at Camp Hood, Texas. With the 443rd Chemical Mortar Battalion.

post-20595-0-80413400-1394652827.jpg

To bad this one is so blurry.

post-20595-0-48109000-1394655078.jpg

Those are some amazing pics!

I would assume it is not kosher to post non-US vehicles..

I have some good photos of German vehicles/tanks.

I have some US ones.. I will dig around and try to snap some photos.

-Brian

I am very interested in German vehicles as well. If you don't want to post here (good point) but still like to share please show them in PM.

I have a few to add. Firstly this photo is of my grandfather in his Jeep. Grandma told me he was a driver for a colonel. I assume this was after he returned to the states, when he was stationed at Camp Hood, Texas. With the 443rd Chemical Mortar Battalion.

attachicon.gifrsz_driver_seatpfc_delbert_edmund_arterburn.jpg

I might be wrong, but I think this jeep is an early production Ford GPW.

A very nice GMC CCKW353! Interesting to see it has no visible markings applied. No idea what make the bulldozer is (probably Caterpillar), but the Dodge WC has a nice field mod door. :)

attachicon.gifJMG.jpg

My Dad, J.M. Graf, Detached MP Company, Camp Carson, Colorado, 1942

This is an early production jeep as well. It has no black-out lamp on the left fender (or even the retro kit), no rifle holder on the windscreen and no jerrycan holder. It does however have the rounded edge on the tank sump. I think this is also an early production Ford GPW since the eyelet for the 'door' strap seems to be horizontal, but I'm not 100% certain.

Johan Willaert

This is an early production jeep as well. It has no black-out lamp on the left fender (or even the retro kit), no rifle holder on the windscreen and no jerrycan holder. It does however have the rounded edge on the tank sump. I think this is also an early production Ford GPW since the eyelet for the 'door' strap seems to be horizontal, but I'm not 100% certain.

Yes, it seems to be a GPW also confirmed by the larger hole in the side of the frame tips near the gussets...

post-949-0-23770500-1394716286.jpg

Members of Detached MP Company, Camp Hale, Colorado, 1943. Photo by 1st Sgt. JM Graf

post-949-0-69172500-1394716770.jpg

Early snapshot of a Bantam BRC-40, location / photographer unknown.

post-949-0-64398800-1394717053.jpg

Captured and reutilized German Kuebelwagen, photographer / location unknown.

post-949-0-16624800-1394717364.jpg

Ford Pygmy during testing

General Apathy

attachicon.gif Camp-Hale.jpg

Members of Detached MP Company, Camp Hale, Colorado, 1943. Photo by 1st Sgt. JM Graf

Jagjetta, nice photo thanks, shows a rare insulated cold weather cover on the engine hood.

ken

littlebuddy

That seems to be a Willys. Note the placement of the star on the hood, according to regulations. ^_^

A Willys , oh right ! im not very good at identifying vehicles ok on aircraft though !!

Shame we cant see what else is written on the fender :(

attachicon.gifImage (189).jpg Early Dodge command car. Spring 1941

A nice early 1/2 ton Dodge. From the factory the hoodnumber of vehicles were mostly applied in drab blue. The reason was it doesn't show well on b/w pics, as this pic nicely illustrates. In the field these numbers usually re-applied in white.

Here's one of my Dad's photos. I don't have any info on the truck.

Just a very nice GMC CCKW353 with winch. Very common & yet one of the most appealing trucks ever! ^_^

Backside of Uncle Carl's wrecker with 75mm gun on boom. Kentucky 1943.

post-32632-0-08181800-1394937170.jpg

I posted the backside of Uncle Carl's wrecker. Here's the front side of Uncle Wes's Section truck. Ft. Lewis 1941

post-32632-0-71049200-1394938792.jpg

Early Jeep and weapons carrier, Ft. Lewis 1941

post-32632-0-38076100-1394940129.jpg

post-32632-0-92993400-1394940166.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Naval Communications Unit Three - Occupying Radio Marina at Asmara in the Eritrean highlands. Radio Marina had been the main Italian Naval communications station in Africa during WWII.

They were a very small naval unit, armed with colt 45's, carbines and '03s, quartered with an Army Signal Corps unit and an Army security detachment.

This photo is their Jeep in Asmara

NCU 3 001.jpg

NCU 3 001a.jpg

They also had a weapons carrier which was used for most of their heavy hauling.

I must admit that although the USN was much more lax on uniform regs, the Hawaiian shirt in the African sun is a bit over the top.

NCU 3 004.jpg

NCU 3 006.jpg

Early Jeep and weapons carrier, Ft. Lewis 1941

Certainly an early jeep! A Willys 'slatgrill' MB. According to its registration number it is about 1750 units and 1 week older than my my own slatgrill. I think it was delivered by Willys on either December 31st, 1941 or January 1st, 1942.

These photos are all a bit rough as they've been through a fire and also suffered water damage.

This is their Utility Vehicle, used to get out into the antenna sites. Note the antenna atop the vehicle, the generator power cable and the canteens.

I think that is the 'panel van' version of the Chevrolet G506 1.5 ton truck. The normal truck isn't common at all already, but the 'panel van' radio model is quite rare!

Salvage Sailor

...and one more

M20 Light Armored Cars belonging to the Army Security Detachment garrison at Radio Marina (later Kagnew Station)

post-2322-0-92403900-1395013674.jpg

There were numerous 'shifta' attacks against the USN and Signal Corps unit and whenever they left the environs of Asmara, they were required to take along a machine gun mounted jeep or an armored car for security.

post-2322-0-46302800-1395013640.jpg

The sign on the building under the crossed rifles says "Security Detachment Supply Room" and the motor pool is to the right in the photo.

RadioMarina1951006a.jpg.d117696bbda460ce2c19fb9f21faaa17.jpg

The old worn out jeep at the battle of the Bulge 90th INF DIV original photo.

Craig

post-7997-0-18626300-1395278925.jpg

Getting ready for war the 90th INF DIV original photo same jeep. (BOBO)

Craig

post-7997-0-60422100-1395279137.jpg

To the front at the Bulge carried everything but the kichen sink 90th INF DIV original photo.

Craig

post-7997-0-49644200-1395279418.jpg

The crew!!! 90th INF DIV original photo same jeep.

Craig

post-7997-0-66470800-1395279668.jpg

THE BOSS!!! General of the 90th INF DIV and his jeep original photo at the Bulge

Craig

post-7997-0-11178400-1395279945.jpg

I don't think those are all the same jeep since they all seem to have a different hoodnumber, but the field-made luggage rack is obviously a unit thing. Great pics! :)

I think your right, after I got looking at them the one has different hood number but came from the same GI photo group thanks for pointed it out.

Craig

The halftrack is a German SdKfz. 251/1D, the truck is a GMC CCKW 352 towing what appears to be an M10 ammunition trailer. The -352 was the shorter wheelbase version of the standard cargo variant, and intended as an artillery tracktor. Ofcourse it was also used for general purpose. Great pics, thanks for posting!

Those are great pics......the pics by salvage sailor of the M-20 armoured cars is interesting...any idea of date...as they feature the side lockers and not standard WW2 mine racks ?

Regards

Lloyd