What Year CWU-27/P Flight Suit

AB12

Hi,

Would like to find out what year this CWU-27/P Flight Suit is from.

Info on Satan's Angels Squadron and the Tactical Air Command

and id the patch on the left shoulder.

Thanks

post-151813-0-49652700-1394600666.jpg

Johnny Signor

That's a Navy Divers specialty type patch on the shoulder, the FWS patch is a Fighter Weapons Squadron , try USAFpatches.com for that one, I'd say late 70's early 80's for it .

BlueBookGuy

What is perplexing to me, is the fact the suit (at least, under this lighting) appears to be a true shade of sage green going to a greysh - if from a 1969 contract, it should be among the very very first CWU-27/P produced and issued and thus have a decidedly NOT sage, but almost toward a "yellowish" green hue.

In fact the very first GS-FRP flight gloves of that era were a perfect match for those suits, as for the color.

But, more I couldn't say with certainty.

Franco

River Patrol

Was it common to have a Navy Divers patch on a USAF flight suit.

It is extremely unusual to find this combination.

• 2 weeks later...

What is perplexing to me, is the fact the suit (at least, under this lighting) appears to be a true shade of sage green going to a greysh - if from a 1969 contract, it should be among the very very first CWU-27/P produced and issued and thus have a decidedly NOT sage, but almost toward a "yellowish" green hue.

In fact the very first GS-FRP flight gloves of that era were a perfect match for those suits, as for the color.

Shades of green such as this are among the hardest to get accurate color with when photographing them with digital cameras. The colors used in the old USMC HBT's are similar and the color temperature of the the source light and the sensors in the camera can make it nearly impossible at times to show the "real" color.

BlueBookGuy

It's true mr. Hudson,

at least one has to try by steps by changing position relative to the subject, doing more shots with or without artificial light, and changing the distance as well.

The following is a picture of Capt. S. Ritchie taken in summer 1972, his CWU-27/P is of course from the very early batches issued - can assure the result here is absolutely 100% identical to the book picture as for the correct shade of green.

Assuming the wartime photo does show the very correct degree of this shade as it was when worn by Ritchie, we consequently could say the photo posted here does show us how the early CWU-27/P did look like.

Franco.

post-151851-0-93554100-1395568817.jpg