ID'ed specimen in my "Blood Chits" collection.

BlueBookGuy

BlueBookGuy

The 1st text column starting from right-side, is shown for either Chit. Third characters down these columns are totally different between them.

This, the main difference - the other one (less conspicuous at first), the shape of Chinese "sun".

will post this one as well (continus..)

BlueBookGuy

Now the second difference between the two Chinese Chits - the "sun". Please note the followings (leaving aside the darker and lighter blues themselves):

* overall sizes of suns, compared to their respective blue fields;

* lenght of the triangular rays, relative to their discs;

* width of inside "rings", either between them and relative to their discs.

At left the earlier Chit, at right the late wartime one:

post-151851-0-09323900-1395343618.jpg

BlueBookGuy

And here the third difference of some importance - the 2nd and third text columns but, this time starting from left side.

Same characters and their order within the columns, but difference in their sizes: decidedly conspicuous for the 2nd column, less evident for the third column.

Again, at left the earlier Chit. At right, the late wartime one.

post-151851-0-22714700-1395344758.jpg

This is the second version AVG Chit. Third hand information to me from the Vets daughter was that this came from an enlisted gunner who flew in a B24 in China early in the war.

post-6413-0-99602100-1395378769.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Hi Survival,

your Chinese Chit looks like to be a very early specimen straight from the ones issued to the AVG, more than the 2nd variation originated by them. This, owing to the extreme low s/n.

Do not know whether the true 2nd variation had theorically started from, say, 0001 in order to be issued to post AVG usaaf airmen.

Please could you post some closeups of "chop", sewn-together borders, and "May-Guo" symbols (the two at bottom tof second column, from right)? Thanks very much.

It seems to be in absolutely exceptional conditions, but this in itself could mean nothing negative as for originality. I saw some wich were almost like new!!.

Franco.

I can't find the reference but I believe Bob Baldwin has stated that version 2 chits were actually issued with serial numbers in the high 400s. After which they were probably in the number range that Chennault gave out as souvenirs. As some one said earlier thanks for starting this topic as its refreshing to see something other then old canvas. I will add a couple chits when I can dig them out.

post-6413-0-58122000-1395414226.jpg

BlueBookGuy

A truly GREAT Chit this your, Survival !!

Not only difficult, rather very very difficult in my opinion to find one of this subvariant having the "chop" centered in the text area. And, what the conditions!! I think my early 3rd variation Chinese Chit with vertical s/n is indeed rare if coupled to a relatively low number itself (and, so it is).

But this specimen is 100% fantastic...

Thanks for appreciating this topic. Franco

Here is another chit. A similar chit is shown in Last Hope on page 86. Oddly this one has been sewn to a piece of thin cardstock

post-6413-0-74589800-1395441651.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Yes the same subvariation as mine, with the changed 3rd character down the first column at right - but looking in newer conditions tha mine.

Front layer retains more of its original white field, and text is a good deep black- "May-Guo" symbols also are still a good purplish color.

Very good! :) Franco.

This is a ID'd AVG chit from my collection. I've had it for years now. Not in the best condition, but super rare. When I received it, I had it museum quality framed and stabilized to preserve it in its current state.

JD

AVG21_zpsc5715c64.jpg

One more to add to this great thread. Part of a larger group, this chit was used by a 16th Fighter Squadron P-51 Pilot after he was shot down. He ended up making his way back to his base 2 months after being shot down with aid of the Chinese. He was shot down while strafing Japanese troops and vehicles.

JD

krwry_zpsa771cdce.jpg

Lovely examples!

Thought I would share one of my more interesting chits, it's a first production 3 digit Type 1 chit. What makes this one unique is the original shipping ticket giving it some documentation.

post-56-0-19790100-1395503424.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Great specimens all of them! :)

What a coincidence JDK !!! Blood Chit I posted to start this topic was it also, owned by a 16th Fighter Squadron - Capt. Dale Pinckney, P-40K pilot who was shot down by ground fire while strafing.

As already see, that one I presently do own is from the so-called "souvenir" chits cathegory - locally, artisan-made specimens.

BlueBookGuy

Again post here that particular "souvenir" Chit, Capt. Pinckney's one.

Multi-piece, leather and velvet-like fabric. CBI shield in itself not the same construction, it's a single leather piece hand-drawed and colored then added to the text field by sewing it under a leather border.

Thanks collectors for posting your wonders !!! Franco.

post-151851-0-16515200-1395506123.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Most similar to mine having vertical s/n !!

But, this is in somehow better conditions as for colors, and number's visibility :o

BlueBookGuy

Some steps back, again to these two "souvenir" Chits framed together under glass. Hope you like some more notes about, could be interesting to detail some basic points by using close shots.

Both are made of silk, one is in near-new conditions, the other rather worn and soiled - noteworthy differences do exist as for basic construction.

The larger one is made up of 3 silk pieces, and embroidering on flag is limited to sun's white disc and its twelve rays (here, not dissimilar from a flower's petals). Blue "ring" does result by difference. Text characters are very finely embroidered with silk thread.

The other Chit is made of just 1 basic silk rectangle, all-white. Here Chinese flag is wholly made up exclusively by embroidering with blue and dark red, over the white backing (only inner "ring" is made up by leaving the white exposed).

Embroidering does run parallel to flag's longer side, for both red and blue colors. A great and lenghty work in my opinion - after wich, many diagonally sewn threads (about 45° slanted) are added to give an apparently "quilted" look to the whole. Actually, it isn't a true quilting.

the two Chits:

post-151851-0-81052300-1395570384.jpg

BlueBookGuy

The two blue fields and suns.
At left the sun is wholly embroidered in white over a plain blue fabric, blue ring is obtained by difference. At right the whole blue is horizontally embroidered on the white silk backing, and white sun does result by difference.

Diagonally sewn threads give a somehow "quilted" appearance.

(cont.d..) Franco

post-151851-0-56730800-1395571608.jpg