ID'ed specimen in my "Blood Chits" collection.

BlueBookGuy

BlueBookGuy

This, rather an ID "tool" than a true Blood Chit.

US Flag, as removed from a flight jacket. Conditions more than excellent. Very finely made using thin leather.

post-151851-0-64667400-1394559101.jpg

BlueBookGuy

wish to come back once again to that 1st Pattern, 5 Language Chit made and issued in India (primarily for aircrews flying over the "Hump"), in order to show more details of fabric and printing between it and the later US-made pattern in rayon fabric.

This the silk/cotton, India-made Chit:

post-151851-0-62248000-1394559297.jpg

BlueBookGuy

details of the front Rayon fabric, US-made 5 Languages Chit

We can see a greater precision even in tiny details, than with the Silk-made Chit:

post-151851-0-94598100-1394559681.jpg

BlueBookGuy

At this point, same talking for the 100% perfect US-made, rayon Chit of late wartime (single layer):

here the flag..

post-151851-0-08792200-1394569740.jpg

BlueBookGuy

A jump into Europe, and the following is one of two US "Chits" very similar between them made available in mid-1944 for the "shuttle missions" to and from Russia by 8th and 15th Air Forces.

To be more precise: photo shows two specimens of the SAME pattern - at left made in true paper, at right made in a paper-like fabric. I miss currently the second pattern, slightly different from both these two.

post-151851-0-55771500-1394570639.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Spectacular! I've always wanted a blood chit, but am afraid of fakes.

Hi Nack, thanks of the appreciation! Yes there is plentyful of fakes around, many of them are rightly stated as such by honest sellers (and, in this case they automatically became reproductions more than true fakes), others not so. But, there are many a good original Chit as well.

A great help would be mr. Baldwin's excellent book "Last Hope" (1997), clearly the Chits of patterns officially made and issued by Chinese and US governments are the most difficult very difficult- to duplicate with decent results.

Somehow more easily, it may be done with the endless numbers of "souvenirs" exotic specimens like the ones made and sold to aviators by local artisans in China or India.

Regards, Franco.

BlueBookGuy

Hi Jerry, thanks very much!

Presently only one of Chits is part of a pilot's kit (a US-made Chit in rayon, carried by P-38 guy) and in effect that is inside a canvas pouch and simply folded in four. All remaining are under glass hanging at the wall. But that one should need a specific waterproof pouch as you say... could be a next thinking.

regards,l Franco.

Franco,

Great chits and thanks for sharing them. I really like the 16th fighter squadron chit. I actually have a chit ID'd to a 16th fighter squadron pilot as well. He used it when he was shot down after a ground strafing mission.

JD

BlueBookGuy

Thanks JDK!!

I still am searching more infos about Capt. Dale Pinckney of 16th Squadron - hope sooner or later to be able in this.

Franco.

BlueBookGuy

And, this the 6 Language Chit - the only known pattern with 6 Languages. Not only, but also the very first Chit officially made in the US. (beginning in March 1944).

only one layer, made of cotton fabric.

post-151851-0-96581600-1394652015.jpg

BlueBookGuy

The 7 Language Chit. As for the 6 Language Blood Chit, only one pattern for this one.

Issued late in the war.

post-151851-0-39150400-1394652285.jpg