Help With This 7th Cavalry Squadron Patch Please

manayunkman

manayunkman

I'm not sure if I have ID'd this correctly.

The construction looks "In Country" but I am not familiar with it.

It appears Asian but I'm not sure of that.

post-51189-0-79050100-1394472422.jpg

What's it's connection to the 7th ?

Is this a helicopter unit ?

I just realized you wrote 7th Squadron, not regiment. My mistake. Yes, the 7th Squadron, 1st Cav was an aviation unit in Vietnam. Sorry bout that.

What's it's connection to the 7th ?

Is this a helicopter unit ?

What makes you think there is a connection to the 7th Cavalry? It is a patch version of the Distinctive Unit Insignia of the 1st Cavalry Regiment among other iterations of the unit. From the Institute of Heraldry website:

And I just saw the same thing B229 did.

"The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 1st Cavalry Regiment on 27 November 1923. It was redesignated for the 1st Armored Regiment on 7 September 1940. It was redesignated for the 1st Constabulary Squadron on 11 June 1947. The insignia was redesignated for the 1st Medium Tank Battalion on 13 August 1951. It was redesignated for the 1st Tank Battalion on 18 February 1955. The insignia was redesignated for the 1st Cavalry Regiment on 21 April 1958. It was amended to change the wording of the description on 20 October 1965."

Patchcollector

Bob nailed it.This is a classic example of an early incountry made piece.Notice that the rear seems kind of crude,with a large fold of thick cloth and the embroidery shows on the back with no evidence of trying to save thread.I have a few similarly put together examples like this one,but different units.Nice "chainstitched" patch.

This unit was not part of the 1st Cav Division.

No, it wasn't, and no one said it was. The 1st Cavalry in this instance would refer to a parent regiment under CARS carrying the lineage and honors of the 1st Cavalry Regiment.

The 7th Sqd, 1st Cav was assigned to the 1st Aviation Brigade in Vietnam.

No, it wasn't, and no one said it was. The 1st Cavalry in this instance would refer to a parent regiment under CARS carrying the lineage and honors of the 1st Cavalry Regiment.

The 7th Sqd, 1st Cav was assigned to the 1st Aviation Brigade in Vietnam.

Yes indeedy. An Air Cavalry Squadron of high repute.