1881 Cavalry Helmet and NYNG Hussar Busby

Here are a pair of original cavalry helmets. Both are a little rough but 100% real. The cords on the 1881 helmet are threadbare in spots and the felt helmet has a split at the rear but the liner is all there and in good shape. The busby is not marked but was sold by Norm Flayderman in the 1970's as a NYNG busby. The yellow wool cover has a "V" tear.

Dick

post-9487-0-30114600-1394464443.jpg

post-9487-0-18306300-1394464453.jpg

post-9487-0-26312500-1394464497.jpg

daniel griffin

Nice to see an 1881 Cavalry helmet that is original and not put-together from parts, tough to find original yellow cords.

Leatherneck72

The busby typically came with a bullion and cloth emblem on the front. It is a yellow background cab-type emblem, and really neat looking.

Thank you all for the comments. I have had these helmets for years. If anyone has information on the busby please let me know. I would also like to see a picture of the bullion and cloth emblem for the front of the busby. If anyone has one for sale please contact me.

Dick

Dick,

Similar busbys can be seen worn by various city militia units. 1st City Troop of Cleveland Ohio (1877-1881) wore them with red bags while the helmet had a yellow plume. 2nd Troop of Philadelphia City Cavalry (1897-1941) wore them with red tops and bags as well. You may well be looking for a City Cavalry Troop. These two are shown on Company of Military Historian uniform plates.

I hope this is helpful.

Squadron A in New York also wore a Hussar style uniform with a busby. Essex Troop in New Jersey also wore a busby, I believe.