A Picture of my Grandpa with a German P-38 & Dagger

RockinRecon

RockinRecon

Here is my Grandpa of the 86th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, 6th Armored Division, 3rd Army, U.S.A with captured German P-38 and Dagger. He brought them home and they may be up in the attic or somewhere else in the house, i'm not sure. I've been cleaning out junk from the attic and the rest of the house. Hopefully I will come across them, I found a huge framed painting of scenes of combat, Military Generals and allied forces with a small picture of my Great Grandfather and some of his WWI service record under his picture and found a couple of Medals that are either my Grandpa's or his 3 brothers who also served in the Military in wartime, or my Great Grandpa who first served in the Navy, then the Army in WWI and the Army again in WWII. I have all of the Military records of theirs, thankfully because I never got a chance to know most of them. Anyway, I'm rambling on too much so here is the picture.

post-118253-0-64632000-1394438942.jpg

My Uncle told me my Grandpa brought a German pistol and some daggers home, but my Uncle didn't know anything else about it. My Grandpa had 4 children and my one of my Dad's little sisters was bad about swiping valuable things from the pawning them to have money to party with. But I hope I come across them while I'm cleaning out the house and looking for valuables and antiques, not to sell but to keep in the family.

RockinRecon

I hope to find the P-38 Pistol and the Daggers, or at least some other Military items from my family. I asked my uncle where the pistol & daggers were and he told me he didn't know and said my Grandpa may have sold them or one of my Grandpa's children may have sold them. He told me that he had seen them before though. Although I put it there I had forgot I put it there, and I found the flag used for my Grandpa's service after he passed away. It's in a plastic bag and has never been unfolded since it was folded up that day. It's not something captured on a battlefield but is the framed painting I found with my Great Grandfater's picture in the center.

post-118253-0-43069200-1394454533.jpg

post-118253-0-20380600-1394454685.jpg

post-118253-0-05524300-1394454956.jpg

Those are about the best pics I could get because of glare on the glass.

RockinRecon

My Uncle told me my Grandpa brought a German pistol and some daggers home, but my Uncle didn't know anything else about it. My Grandpa had 4 children and one of my Dad's little sisters was bad about swiping valuable things from the house and pawning them to have money to party with. But I hope I come across them while I'm cleaning out the house and looking for valuables and antiques, not to sell but to keep in the family.

I could'nt go back and edit this by the I saw the mistakes with words I made, I'm quoting it to take out the wrong words and add the words I needed the sentences to make sense.

RockinRecon

Can't wait to see what you find!

Thanks, i hope i find them if they are still in the house. If not, then I guess someone sold them. If I don't find them, then I will post some pics of other U.S. Military items and/or Medals family members have given me. Of course, I'll probably post pics of some stuff I already have anyway, but it's always great adding more to the collection to keep safe and to take them out of the safe to look at sometimes.

RockinRecon

thanks very much and i'll put pics of them in this thread if i find them and i hope so much that i do! This is a big old 2 story house and there are things that have been put away in here for 50,60 and 70 or more years. I will post pics in other threads of all the Medals that have been given or left to me by my family. My Dad's side of the family, which is a Military family I guess with almost every man in the family volunteering for duty in wartime from at least The Civil War right up to today's war. And they have entrusted me and given me a whole lot of Military items to take care and I keep them in 400 & 500lbs safes if they will fit in them.

Bill

• 2 months later...

Bill,

I chuckled at your post, because my Kentucky family has been hiding guns in their houses for years...and forgetting about them.

It not unusual to get a call from my elderly mother inquiring as to who left a Luger in a forgotten sock drawer or a springfield under

a guest bed. If we weren't hunting with them, we hid them. So, keep looking and good luck !

• 1 month later...