RAF ditch whistle 23/230 meaning?

Stony

Does anyone know what the 23/230 means on the RAF ditch whistle? I've also seen the same thing on other RAF items.

AAF_Collection

It's the British Air Ministry stores reference number. Everything from aircraft equipment to toilet paper would have such a number.

I;m not suggesting yours is, but these whistles are being reproduced.

Regards,

Matt.

As Matt says, replicas are easy to obtain over here. They are actually made by the original "Acme" company which still manufactures their famous "Thunderer" whistle, of which this is just a military marked variant.

2292web2.jpg

I understand it's a reference number just like the U.S. ones, but does the actual number itself have a significance? (i.e. date, place of manufacture)

I'm actually getting 4 of them in the original WWII shipping box. They are not reproductions.

They all have the same number...it's just a standard stock #...like all items of military equipment. As far as where it was made, the Acme factory is in Birmingham ( not the one in Alabama...the original English one!) These WW2 whistles crop up on eBayUK quite frequently. Originals usually sell for around £30 / $50. Acmes in copies of original issue boxes are also available from some dealers.

I can't find the ditching whistle seller at the moment, but they come boxed like this Acme "cricket".

store_usa_cricket01_03.jpg

Thanks for the info Sabre, appreciate it. These are in the original box, not repros or repro boxes. I will post pictures later.

• 2 weeks later...