Record Keeping

ww2vault

Hi there,

I was really curious to the way you keep records of your collection. Personally I have a notebook that I have split into a couple sections. In the front of my record book is where I keep my receipts for each purchase I make for a item in my collection.

The first section lists the name of the business, phone number, hours open, and the physical address of the place.

The next section is for items that I bought from a private seller such as vets family member or some one that just happened to have a WWII item.

The last section list the actual items I bought, along with the price paid, estimated value of item, and date bought.

I thought this would be a interesting topic to add, maybe some people will learn a new technique on how to keep track of their items or maybe inspire some people to start keeping a record of their.

I know a few people who use Access and computers to keep track of their collection and I know a few people who keep really detailed records on their collection.

Post away! thumbsup.gif

- Jeff

A fellow collector told me about Collection Master 1.3. You can download a trial version at http://www.nortica.com/. You can buy it off eBay or from the website.

I have nothing to do with the program or website. Just an extremely satisified user.

I've been using Microsoft Excel for the past 15 years or so. Works like a champ. I burn it to a CD once in a while to save the records....

-Ski

Hi Erwin,

Yes, you are correct. It is buried beneath many other posts in the Display section where it would benefit better over here in the newly separated Preservation section. :)

- Jeff

All these ways of tracking your collection are great... and also very time consuming. I document my items as well but, most collectors don't have the time or don't want to make the time to do the record keeping and taking of individual photographs. Yet, if you have a break in or a fire and you need to make an insurance claim, you'll be out in the dark. Although not the perfect alternative, taking your video camera and going through you collection and commenting on the items is a recognized record by the insurance companies. This process may take an hour or two depending on the size of the collection but, if you update your video every 6 to 12 months, you pretty much have yourself covered in case of a loss. I keep a video record of my items as well as a copy of my records in a safe deposit box at the bank.

Regardless of the recording keeping method choosen, start keeping those records early. Don't wait until you are 20 plus years into it before you start, it makes for one huge job if you do. Trust me, I know that all too well. :)

Regardless of the recording keeping method choosen, start keeping those records early. Don't wait until you are 20 plus years into it before you start, it makes for one huge job if you do. Trust me, I know that all too well. :)

Oh Yeah! I learned this lesson in the school of hard knocks myself. Too many years, too many items and then I had to start documenting. It's finally done and now, I try to document within a week of acquiring an item!

Hi Erwin,

Yes, you are correct. It is buried beneath many other posts in the Display section where it would benefit better over here in the newly separated Preservation section. :)

- Jeff

The thread has been moved over here, and here is a link:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=8572

Should we merge these two??

I think they need to be merged, to keep continuity, you may have to delete a few comments... like this one.

I've been using Access for years now. My records started out as notebook pages with not much information other than what it was, how much I paid for it, and where (which box) it was. Then when I got a computer, I started using Access and a very simple db with little more information other than what was marked on each item and a description/remarks block all in one small db. I believe I used the wizard function in the program to make the first versions. In the past 10 years or so I've been using it, each page (item record) has evolved into a detailed record with two photos on each page (I keep more photos in a separate folder on my hard drive with details and markings on each item) and fields for specifics (Nomenclature, NSNs, date of manufacture, manufacturer, etc). My db is separated into areas such as "Ground" (for my Infantry stuff), "Aviator" (for my survival gear), "Uniforms", etc. for each area. Over the years, I've added features such as searches, photos, specific fields for data (pattern date, manufacturer, etc.).

I'm not a computer programmer but I have learned a lot about the program by tweaking it and seeing what works and doesn't work. As I said, I've been using a form of this program for 10 years now and had lots of time to play with it. Besides learning what I can do with the program, I've learned a lot more about what I had collected. When I began entering everything into the database, I had to pull each item out, inspect it, get information, and complete the fields I had set up. Obviously, this gave me an opportunity to get re-acquainted with my collection and notice details I hadn't previously given much thought to or paid attention to before.

I keep a backup of the db with my computer backups for protection (which we all do, right?). Also, I've begun to tag my items (using small string tags or marking the container I have it in) with the db record index number so the items can be matched with the specific record entry. I have many duplicate items and this has helped me a bit on keeping them straight. One of the main incentives to this was in case my wife has to dispose of it some day, it will help her or whoever is doing it to ID each item to see what I knew of it. This last feature is something I've only been doing for a couple of years at the suggestion of another member from the MCF.

Finally, I haven't given up my paper notes. I still keep a binder with a "report" printout of the db, by section, which gives me enough info so I can ID what I have, where it is, and a remarks section that gives my brief information about the item. This is actually my primary reference. I take this to the shows and keep it handy for a quick reference to my collection. Also, I keep notes in this when I gain more information. It is the first place I log new acquisitions and later, when time permits, I sit down at the computer and update my db from this binder. Also, this paper record lets me enter sketches of peculiar markings that you can't do in the data field of a db.

I tried a couple of trial versions of some of the "collection" databases mentioned but I still prefer my db I've been using. Probably since I'm more comfortable with it and it works.

Here is a screenshot of a typical record.

post-282-1212413573.jpg

I'm not nearly as organized with an access database, but I have my WW1 collection laid out in an excel file. The file includes:

Last name

First name

Rank

Serial number

Cost (purchased)

Sold (if sold, cost)

SSN

Place of Birth/Home of Record

Date of Birth

Date entered service

Unit Served

Company

Regiment/Btn

Division/Army

Date of death

Comments

I keep this in addition to a binder with all of the uniform's research, original documents, purchase paperwork, etc.

All of the uniforms are kept in plastic zipper bags with the name of the vet written on them in Sharpie and the "additional" items (helmets, boots, etc...) are all kept in large Ziploc baggies with the vet's name written on them. Any loose items (e.g. helmets) are tagged with individual tags with the vet's name.

When I pull everything out of storage, I plan on putting a large hanging tag on each uniform with a synopsis of the vet's bio on it for easy reference.

That's about the best I can do with what I have!

Dave

Database.JPG

I use an excel spreadsheet similiar to Dave's. However I also include the following fields:

Hometown

County

State

Obit (yes/no)

Discharge documents (yes/no)

Comments

I create an internal website by using hyperlinks over each name on the spreadsheet. I then link it to a more in-depth research sheet. This sheet also has hyperlinks to photos of items. This way I am not limited on the space of each page. When I am ambitious enough, I create a powerpoint presentation with the photos including descriptions of the items.

IMPERIAL QUEST

I used to keep meticulous hand-written notes in a journal, but after a while it just became a pain in the you know what- and actually it took the fun out of it for me. Now, I don't document anything any more. I don't plan on retiring on this stuff and if I were to "go" I have given my wife a few names of individuals that I trust to help her get the going value of my stuff.

I am at a point in my life where things are complicated enough already. I deal with numbers, facts, and figures all day long at my job and I don't want to carry this over into an area that is supposed to be a release from reality. I don't care what I paid, or where I got it any more. All that matters is that I enjoy the items while I have them. ;)

***I would add that I do keep paperwork obtained through the NPRC and other agancies on my PH's, named/numbered medals and groupings in a binder for reference. Any bit of written history that comes with the item(s), stays with the item. I don't want it sound like I toss history to the winds...

I deal with numbers, facts, and figures all day long at my job and I don't want to carry this over into an area that is supposed to be a release from reality.

I can definitely relate to that!

Ironically, I keep all my stuff in a spreadsheet because this IS what I do at work. :lol: (Just don't ask me to make a .ppt of my collection...I would undoubtedly overkill with way too much animation and other great wing-dings...)

For me, the spreadsheet not only helps me keep track of stuff, but it more importantly helps me keep track of what I've researched and what I haven't yet researched. All the blank holes are things I feel compelled to find in order to build my vet's stories. Kind of a challenge, as it were. Hopefully when I get back to the US I'll be able to do more research on them and get more info...something I relish the thought of!

Dave

I have found MS Excel to be the most versatile prgram so far. I tried Access, but found it was to cumbersome and difficult to link to other databases.

With over 2200 items in the collection the need to keep track of costs and values became an issue. Each entry has a column for cost and value...plus a space that keeps a running total. These running totals on every catagory and sub-catagory in the spreadsheet are linked to a seperate sheet that itemizes and totalizes all the costs and values. I don't have to do any calculations since the program does it all for me.

What helps is the fact that MS Office is the program I use at work for word processing, and data sheet development, and basic spreadsheets and trending graphs. Excel is a very versatile and user friendly program.

Depending on the catagory each spreadsheet is set-up differently...plus each catagory is sub-divided. For example...Catagory;Uniforms, Sub-Catagories; Jackets-Coats, Shirts, Trousers, Headgear, Shoes-Boots, Miscellaneous. When it comes to Insignia, it get divided as well, Medals, Shooting Awards, Branch, Unit, Cloth-rank, Groups. I have a catagory named Miscellaneous, which inlcudes; Hard Gear, Web Gear, Cartridge belts, Gun gear, First Aid, Rations, Bayonets- Knives, Documents, Unit Histories, Scabbards, Personal Gear, Miscellaneous

In addition to the spreadsheet I keep an up-to-date written itemzied hard copy with basic info and tally of total items...this is not as detailed as the spreadsheet info.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Here's a screen shot of the MS Access Dbase that I created and use. This is the main screen where I add the data. There are also several other views that I can use.

For decades I used the ol' 3-ring binder method. One page per item with pencil sketches of markings, etc.

A few years back (I actually exchanged quite a bit of correspondance with Mike_L about this), I bought the MS Press book for Access and used that to put together a suitable Dbase. It's set up with several reports that allow me to print hard copies of the overall inventory list, items by location (display case numbers, storage, etc), items by era and country, etc.

I'm still adding digital photos of the older artifacts in my collection, but I'm making steady progress. The photos serve two purposes. The first is proof of the item's existance and general condition in the collection. The other is for identification by my wife of obscure arcana.

It was all a bit tedious to set up, but now it's very easy.

The only thing I'd add is to back-up, back-up, back-up!

Mike

post-626-1215651623.jpg

In addition to any program you may use, make sure you periodically email a copy to yourself at home, work or even another email account. If, God forbid, you had a fire and lost it all including the software and computer you would still have a copy you could access later.

Jeff

Jeff,

The total file size for my inventory d-base has grown way too large to send copies by e-mail. I use an inexpensive external hard drive (USB connected) to back-up and occasionally copy it to CD to put with my other important papers.

The hard copy inventory list is useful to have on-hand when you go to your insurance agent looking to buy a rider or policy to insure the value of your collection.

Mike

my collection is in the shed which looks like somebody bombed a drive in movie, I have been meaning to insure my gear so I might think about documenting what I have, save under insuring, great idea guys!