US Canteen Cover Variations Question

J.Q.M.D.

Since part of this discussion has revolved around the Off-Shade JQMD canteen covers, I think some of you may find this interesting, an original shipping crate for these canteen covers. The crate came from the Fort Pierce, Florida Naval Amphibious training base immediately after the war. I have approximately 40 of the off shade covers new in the crate.

So here are some pictures of the crate and a mint condition cover with mint canteen that also came from a crate I have out of the base.

post-41109-0-56408700-1394758860.jpg

B24, that is the nicest example of the "M19WEIRD" gray-green Covers I have ever seen :blink::P

Thanks for sharing this, and that crate...WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Flage guy, and I thought you had all the cool stuff??? very nice! was the crate originally 150 covers? I like how they call it (off-shade) interesting??? just shows they even called it what it was back then.

Craig

Hello,

Interesting discussion about canteen covers.

A lot of things to say ... variations, mistakes, ...

Nice to see the crate of covers !!

Thanks for sharing ;)

I was finally able to get that collection that I was after. In the mix were two 1918 dated canteen/cup sets with later covers. There was nothing else very exciting in there, though. When did they move the seam from the rear to the side of the cover? Anyway, here are some pics of the JQMD as promised, as well as a pic of the collection I just bought. I took the pics of the JQMD from my car on my way to work, so I apologize for the quality. One of these days I might actually have time to walk around and take pics! Unfortunately the vast majority of it is off limits.

post-152015-0-26918600-1395275054.jpg

J., thanks for all those great pics! Finally, I get to see the place where so much fine stuff was developed and produced.

Still some military stuff hanging around, I notice...