Sherman photo comparisan.

Jim Baker

I need some young steely eyed Sherman fans to look at these two photos. The first is of course a well known photo of "Cannon Ball" of the 70th TB at Normandy. The second is one I ran across and I believe it is also of Cannon Ball with a straight on perspective.

All opinions are welcome. And thanks.

post-78-0-93076700-1394331054.jpg

post-78-0-99609800-1394331068.jpg

Tank you Linedoggie. I was pretty sure, but having indulged in Miller Time I wanted another set of eyes to check it out.

I would say it's the same tank as well, I sure they took more than one photo of the tank and I also wonder if it's in a bomb crater hole?. What looks funny the two Navy officers looked to be puzzled??

Craig

A couple of things gave it away for me. The type of Sherman, the position of the tank in the hole, and the rocket mounting bracket on the turret.

Yup, it is the same unfortunate Sherman.

Where did you get that second photo?

Erwin

Hey Amigo,

I don't remember. Probably off the net somewhere. I'm always searching and have hundreds of photos of WWII US armor. Occasionally I will match subjects from different sources and dates. It happened yesterday when I posted some photos for a thread here of the Korean War tanks with Tiger faces painted on. The original poster started with a photo he was interested in and it turned out that a color photo I had was a match to the Sherman in his black and white photo. It's always fun to find those.

I'm trying to identify and catalog them to make it easier to find specific photos.

As you know, so many photos have been copied and re-copied over the years so I'm also looking for better quality photos (resolution and such) of those I already have.

I should close with a thanks to members who have graciously sent me photos from their collections for the cause. Whatever that is...... ;)