Aviation Ordnanceman on a Destroyer Tender?

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

I have a Navy jumper named to a G. R. Petropulos who was a S1c aerial gunner and aviation ordnanceman a member here checked the muster rolls and found a possible match but it says he was on the USS Markab Ad-21 destroyer tender. What would he have to do on this ship? Thanks

You said a possible match. I believe there is a second person on the tender with a simililar name.

Remember navy bases and such are not listed on the Navy rosters, which is predominantly ships duties listed.

So if he was based in Florida or a pacific base flying part of a Catalina crew he won't be listed.

But since his name is so unusual it should be no problem getting his records.

Good luck!

LG

SergeantMajorGray

You said a possible match. I believe there is a second person on the tender with a simililar name.

Remember navy bases and such are not listed on the Navy rosters, which is predominantly ships duties listed.

So if he was based in Florida or a pacific base flying part of a Catalina crew he won't be listed.

But since his name is so unusual it should be no problem getting his records.

Good luck!

LG

Thanks If I could only read the serial number on the tag everything would be much easier. It would be cool if he was on a Catalina but if he actually was on the ad-21 I bet he wasn't too happy about it.

Usually those numbers are their Platoon numbers while they were training.

Assuming that is what they are, they wouldn't be helpful in your research.

Good Luck!

LF

Garandomatic

Naval aviation has become a frustration to me for the simple fact that I always seem to run into a uniform that has no hits in the musters. Not even when the guy rode to his duty station, or even home.

Same here, one just has to buy the jumper and make sure the name is odd enough to get the records.

Aerial Gunner Jumpers are the coolest ever, would love to have one in my collection.

LF

Garandomatic

I watched one go by about a week ago. Avenger man, way too rich for my blood. Came with documents and the like, a few extra bits, including mission notes. His unit hit Iwo and Okinawa.

The destroyer tender service happened in 1946 after the war was over. He was one of at least a dozen AOM's transferred to the MARKAB in January 1946 from "CSD 103," and I haven't yet figured out what is CSD unit was.

SergeantMajorGray

Same here, one just has to buy the jumper and make sure the name is odd enough to get the records.

Aerial Gunner Jumpers are the coolest ever, would love to have one in my collection.

LF

I was checking through the sellers sold items and saw a master horizontal bomber / aerial gunner that sold for $22 :(

SergeantMajorGray

The destroyer tender service happened in 1946 after the war was over. He was one of at least a dozen AOM's transferred to the MARKAB in January 1946 from "CSD 103," and I haven't yet figured out what is CSD unit was.

Thanks well I guess it is the right guy this might get interesting.

CSD 103 stands for Commander, Service Division 103.

I read an account from a guy who was sent to CSD 103 after VJ Day and worked at removing guns from partially sunk Japanese ships and dumping them in deep water.

I could see where a group of aviation ordnancemen would be put to work handling captured Japanese ordnance after the fighting ended. There was certainly no need for them to service Navy aircraft by then.

He and the other AOM's joined the MARKAB as it sailed from Japan to Shanghai to join the 7th Fleet. In April 1946 the ship returned to the USA for decommissioning. Heck, it could have been that the AOM's tour aboard the MARKAB amounted to mostly a long ride home.

ad21.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

CSD 103 stands for Commander, Service Division 103.

I read an account from a guy who was sent to CSD 103 after VJ Day and worked at removing guns from partially sunk Japanese ships and dumping them in deep water.

I could see where a group of aviation ordnancemen would be put to work handling captured Japanese ordnance after the fighting ended. There was certainly no need for them to service Navy aircraft by then.

He and the other AOM's joined the MARKAB as it sailed from Japan to Shanghai to join the 7th Fleet. In April 1946 the ship returned to the USA for decommissioning. Heck, it could have been that the AOM's tour aboard the MARKAB amounted to mostly a long ride home.

attachicon.gifad21.jpg

Thank you for all the help interesting info.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to note that the muster reports available on line (ancestry.com), only the ships are indexed as of now and typping in a name to search for will only cover those ships. The other muster reports are there for shore, squadrons and other non-ship units. You just have to manually search. If you have an idea of where to start such as a possible command, it helps but usually it's a needle in a haystack.

Charlie