Hawley Restoration

2ndInf.Div.

2ndInf.Div.

Hello everyone! I'm happy to say I got my first Hawley liner at the SOS last Saturday. For $40, I figured I'd match it with my 1941 M1 shell. But there's a catch: the entire suspension has been removed. I was wanting an opinion on whether I should leave it be, or put a new suspension and chinstrap in it. Of course, locating an original suspension kit and slide buckle chinstrap would take a long time, or I would never find one at all. So if I were to do this, it would be with a repro rayon kit. Thoughts?

I think you are right when you suggest that locating an original "spare" suspension would be verging on the impossible. So, realistically, your options would be to leave it as-is or to fit a repro suspension, such as those produced by Josh Murray. However, this would likely cost more than you actually paid for the liner itself. Decision time! :unsure:

2ndInf.Div.

I would think that the liner is already worth more than I paid anyway. $40 for a Hawley, albeit no suspension, seemed like a steal. Makes for a good filler! I don't think I would be lowering the value at all if I put a repro suspension in it. If it would, I would probably not put it in there though.

BelligerentBlue

I think it would vary on how you sold it to if it came down to that. I know some people don't mind repro stuff... but myself, I HATE it. I'd rather have the bare shell than it with a repro suspension. But to each their own, and I'm sure some people would like to have it with a repro than nothing at all. So what do YOU want to do with it. Either way you'll be able to sell it when it came time.

2ndInf.Div.

I also forgot to mention that the spot where the middle nape strap rivet goes has a big hole in it, so that spot would have to be left blank. If I do go through with this, this is not a task that I'll be doing myself. I have no clue how to properly rivet a suspension into a liner. I know someone who does though.

Remember...beneath the fabric, Hawleys are simply compressed cardboard. If the original rivets have been ripped out, the chances are that their holes have been slightly enlarged or deformed in some way and therefore might not readily accept replacement rivets anyway.

Well there you go! For just $75 you have your best chance of restoring it with original parts...which don't show up every day of the week!

Funny....I got the liner from them at the show haha

Really? I wonder where that suspension came from?! :lol:

Really? I wonder where that suspension came from?! :lol:

I saw the liner shell on his website before the show, the webbing might have come from this liner...

2ndInf.Div.

I don't think so. Looking at the suspension kit on the website, 2 or 3 of the rivets are still in the main suspension. The rivets where those go are still in my liner. The 3 nape rivets are missing though.