Watch Fob, how old?

Keith

Found this watch fob today. Eagle has Civil War appearance but not sure if this type leather strap goes back that far. Fob pendant is stamped and not cast. No markings at all on it. Any ideas? Thanks.

post-2830-0-90466000-1394220582.jpg

Interesting would definitely date this in the 1890s or earlier not sure if it is a patriotic piece or for some kind of state crest possibly

ocsfollowme

I'd look at pieces from 1865-1890 and see if you can find a medal with this on it. I don't know anything about rifles, but can you at least date it from that?

Nice piece! I would agree turn of the century. Maybe it was a commemorative piece for a civil anniversary or other patriotic event. Here is one that sold on ebay that is a lot more worn than yours. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VTG-WATCH-FOB-RIFLES-SWORDS-CONFEDERATE-SHIELD-FLAG-CANNONS-EAGLE-/261360262129?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cda491bf1&nma=true&si=BnczwEBZTubuHZzccMDw93XROSk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Nice piece! I would agree turn of the century. Maybe it was a commemorative piece for a civil anniversary or other patriotic event. Here is one that sold on ebay that is a lot more worn than yours. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VTG-WATCH-FOB-RIFLES-SWORDS-CONFEDERATE-SHIELD-FLAG-CANNONS-EAGLE-/261360262129?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cda491bf1&nma=true&si=BnczwEBZTubuHZzccMDw93XROSk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Yes, that is the exact thing. That helps a lot. I agree that it may have been a veteran souvenir purchased at one of the late 1800's-early 1900's Civil War reunions. keith

In that eBay listing, I am not sure "Confederate Shield Flag" is all that accurate. But, I am willing to bet that those two words contributed to a $41 winning bid.

Kevin

In that eBay listing, I am not sure "Confederate Shield Flag" is all that accurate. But, I am willing to bet that those two words contributed to a $41 winning bid.

Kevin

Yes, I didn't see the connection either. It looks like a Federal Shield to me....