EARLY USAF CROSS-OVER CHEVRONS

mikeb

Does anyone have any information about whether or not the infant USAF ever wore the Army-style Technician (Corporal to Staff Sergeant with a "T" in the center) chevrons. Every reference I have seen, shows these in the charts of ranks used. Does anyone have any photos with clearly identified USAF personnel wearing these chevrons. Please remember that, according to Into the Blue by Lance P. Young. page 137, 4th paragraph, the army-style chevrons were never seen on the blue uniform. Although the new blue and silver chevrons were worn on army style uniforms.

What charts do you refer to? It would seem to me, that once the changeover from USAAF to USAF occured, and the new chervons became available, "USAF" personnel would wear "USAF" chevrons, not Army chevrons. And that would apply to USAF personnel in the transitional period wearing the brown "Army style" uniform or the newly introduced USAF blue uniform. By the time the blue uniform was introduced, the new USAF chevrons were already available. Why would they wear Army chevrons at that point?

The Army rank was worn by AF personnel on Army style uniforms only. The AF chevron was approved in 1948 and the first blue uniform made its first appearance in 1949.

mike check out this topic here, loads of period fotos to be found and a wealth of information. My question was "Did US Air Force personnel EVER wear the Army style Technician Chevrons?" Please refer to the information in Lt. Colonel Anthony Aldebol's book "Decorations, Medals, Ribbons, Badges and Insignia 1947-1997". Specifically, pages 54,56 and 57. Also see "A Chronology of the Enlisted rank Chevron of the United States Air Force" by Technical Sergeant Barry L. Spink (1992). Page 1, paragraph 2 - specifically refers to the enlisted ranks including the technician and First Sergeant ranks. I don't care about USAF chevrons on either green or blue uniforms. Did the US Army technician (and First Sergeant) chevrons EVER appear on clearly identifiable Air Force personnel uniforms, whether green or blue.