Japanese Warning Sign from the Philippines

mshaw

This warning sign was brought home by my Uncle John W. Shaw from the Philippines. It is dated 21 November 1944 and clearly reflects their growing desperation a month after the U.S. invasion of the Philippines had begun. He was in the field artillery in the Americal Division.

post-4502-0-29784900-1394170358.jpg

Wharfmaster

As if the Filipinos didn't already know this. Excellent bring back.

My Uncle was there too, 61st FA, 1st Cav. Division.

W

That's what I've always thought, Wharfmaster! The Filipinos had already had several years of brutal Japanese rule in which people were shot on the spot all the time. I think they understood that without the sign!

This raises some red flags with me. I may be out of line, if so I apologize, but did the Japanese really have Times New Roman, proportional spacing and kerning, on warning signs? The English is excellent as well, which, though not impossible, is not common. Furthermore, shouldn't it also be in Tagalog and Spanish? With respect, I'm dubious.

From the Wikipedia entry on Filipino languages:

"Under the U.S. occupation and civil regime, English began to be taught in schools. By 1901, public education used English as the medium of instruction. Around 600 educators (called "Thomasites") who arrived in that year aboard the USS Thomas replaced the soldiers who also functioned as teachers. The 1935 Constitution added English as an official language alongside Spanish. A provision in this constitution also called for Congress to "take steps toward the development and adoption of a common national language based on one of the existing native languages." On November 12, 1937, the First National Assembly created the National Language Institute. President Manuel L. Quezón appointed native Waray-Waray speaker Jaime C. De Veyra to chair a committee of speakers of other regional languages. Their aim was to select a national language among the other regional languages. Ultimately, Tagalog was chosen as the base language December 30, 1937.[5]

My uncle always stated he brought it home from the Philippines. I have no reason to doubt him. It is quite possible that it was printed in a Filipino shop under orders from the Japanese.

Wharfmaster

A friend of mine at work was a young boy under Japanese occupation in the PI. One day, Japanese soldiers stopped him while on his bike. They found an English language textbook in his basket. To punish him, they tied him to a tree and kept him there in the hot sun without water or food all day. Because he was a kid, they didn't kill him.

W

strawberry 9

My wife is Filipina and her Grandfather recently told me some stories of the Japenese occupation in Manilla. He was around 10yrs old at the time. He said he was once in a field when gunfire broke out. Unfortunately for him, he was caught right in between a firefight between U.S. and Japenese troops. He said he could tell which side the Japanese were on because of the distinctive sound of their rifles. He simply laid down and waited it out. Another story he told was that he was walking down a street with a friend at night when his friend suddenly screamed for him to duck. He did so and heard a swish sound above his head. He turned to see a drunken Japanese Officer with a sword who just attempted to behead him. They were both able to get away since the Officer was to drunk to chase them. These were a couple of the lighter stories, some of the others were much more gruesome.

Garandomatic

I always try to impress on my students that Bataan was horrible on us Americans, but that the Filipinos suffered even worse. I wish I knew more about the Filipino Bataan survivor whose post-WWII uniform I have.

While certainly unusual, it does indeed appear to be authentic. The aging looks correct, and this is always difficult for those who wish to fake such things.

Many of the Japanese that fought against us in WW2 were College educated in the US.I think it would be easy for someone educated in the US to put the word structure together for any handbill used in the Philippines during the war.The Japanese would have printed these in English and in many Philippine dialects so they could to get their point across to one and all.I bought one of these handbills in my shop over twenty five years ago it looks identical to the one shown.I think its a great piece of Philippine history thanks for showing it.Scotty

It may have represented an escalation. Perhaps previously they would have arrested someone caught in the act... this is saying they will be shot on the spot.

If I recall correctly, Japanese occupation currency was printed in English. I disposed of my examples some time ago.

If I recall correctly, Japanese occupation currency was printed in English. I disposed of my examples some time ago.

it was.

-Brian