Grenade Pouch - Period Photographs

artu44

• 2 weeks later...

Great post and pictures. I have a three pouch double snap grenade pouch like those shown and it is dated 1967.

• 4 months later...

Here are some pics from http://www.dogfacesoldiers.org/

I recently spoke with 3rd I.D. WWII vet John Shirley and he also mentioned having used a

3 pocket grenade pouch.

37.jpg

The 7th Regiment's First Battalion marches through Faucogney on Sept. 22. The Third Division was about to encounter its fiercest fighting since the landings as it moved north through wooded-terrain during Sept. 20-26. A fanatical, and sometimes bizarre, resistance from the German defenders was reaching a fevered pitch.

title_5.jpg

Strasbourg, France : November - December 1944

Watch on the Rhine

Now, this one is a little tough to see, but I believe that the soldier on the upper right has one attached to his right leg. Someone more computer savy than myself may be able to blow up the pic to make sure.

35.jpg

Third Division soldiers rest in Faucogney from their advance north to the Moselle River and Remiremont. VI Corps was now in position to advance the Seventh Army across the Moselle River.

Corpl. Cleaver

Yeah, he has a Grenade pouch.

To zoom in on photos click on "tools" at the top right of your screen, then click on Zoom, then salect the % of "zoomness" (is that a word?) you want.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
craig_pickrall

Hard to say for sure on the one you posted but usually the 2 cell pouches are USMC. We have a thread on them here too. Your pouch looks more like the Army 3 cell pouch with one cell cut off. Can you post better pics, both front and back?

More views

Hmmm, shape here looks very rounded. Just a suggestion, but could it be either smoke grenades (M15 or M18) or Offensive Grenades (Mk III A1). Just doesn't look like the Mk II Frag grenade is being carried in there to me.

Cheers,

Jon

Great thread this thanks fellas...so are we now saying that t wasa multi use pouch for both offensive (frag) and defensive (smoke) grenades ?

and what era do they first be seen in photos in WW2........?

Regards

Lloyd

• 3 weeks later...
Great thread this thanks fellas...so are we now saying that t wasa multi use pouch for both offensive (frag) and defensive (smoke) grenades ?

and what era do they first be seen in photos in WW2........?

Regards

Lloyd

Well, that's my opinion Lloyd. As we said at the weekend, it's possible we'll never have a definite answer. As for first use, I've no idea. I'm waiting for someone to post a picture of them in use really early on in the war!

Jon

• 1 year later...
Here ya go Johan. ;)

I screen capped this last night but it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. You can see the Rifleman at the far right wearing one of the three cell pouches with single LTD.

PDVD_073.jpgPDVD_074.jpg

"The Color of War" DVD.

The hill looks like more Vosges or light mountain SE french side rather than the flat normandy

From what i can remember from this footage, i have it and a few second after or before we can see a m-41 jacket patched with the 36th div (the guy is beeing welcome and kiss on the cheeks by French people)

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

In the divisional history of the 1st Cavalry Division is a picture of a guy wearing one of these three pocket carriers in Korea.

Chris Fischer

F-Troop

• 1 year later...
Charlie Flick

Gentlemen:

This is a great old thread. I was reminded of it today when I saw the photo below, posted elsewhere on the Forum by History Man, showing a 187th AB RCT soldier in the Korean War. He is seen wearing one of the much debated 3 cell single snap pouches. I suspect he has it loaded with grenades.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

3 cell pouch Korean War 187th AB.jpg

• 2 months later...

I just picked up a 3 pocket grenade pouch with 2 lift-a-dot snaps on each pocket. Inside of the top pocket is stamped:

CARRIER, GRENADE

3 POCKET 74-C-123

JQMD 1945

It is bigger than my one snap model. If anyone wants to see a picture let me know and I'll try to post it.

JimM

• 6 years later...
Salvage Sailor

Screen Grabs from Signal Corps footage on Youtube

3rd Infantry Division Liberation of Munich April 30th, 1945

BAR Gunner with 3rd ID on his helmet, crossing the Munich railyards. Single snap three pocket carrier attached to his ammo belt just like the OP's original question back in '06

3rd ID Munich Apr 30 1945 002.jpg

3rd ID Munich Apr 30 1945 003.jpg

3rd ID Munich Apr 30 1945 004.jpg

3rd ID Munich Apr 30 1945 005.jpg

3rd ID Munich Apr 30 1945 006.jpg

• 4 years later...
Dr_Sutton

These pouches were used well into Vietnam. I have seen two examples of people using them to carry M2 30rd Carbine magazines. A photo of 3 Marines during the Battle of Hue interrogating a local, one of the Marines, who has a M16, appears to having carbine Magazines in his leg pouch but I've only seen the photo that high definition in a book not online. The other example is the fictional but still realistic Hollywood film Porkchop Hill in which a few characters in the film are shown inserting and removing Magazines from their pouches, namely when the friendly Lieutenant Character is ordered to leave the antagonist. Ofcourse it's a movie but it was made with Veteran assistance.