Can you ID this Navy Patch in Photo? - Vietnam

River Patrol

River Patrol

Again the dilemma of finding a great photo of a patch being worn in country yet not being able to find one of these patches in a collection, let alone an ID for the patch. I'm just looking for a 100% ID to this patch. Do you know it? Thanks to my friend at the SOS for allowing me to scan this photo from his collection.

1aaa.jpg

1aaa_.jpg

• 4 years later...
Salvage Sailor

Just a SWAG, but I'm seeing a US flag and RVN flag with possibly a torch in the center.

With the green VNN color and scrolls (probably in english and vietnamese) this may be related to the Accelerated Turnover to Vietnam (ACTOV) training program

River Patrol

I did get this identified....I'll post it tonight.

Salvage Sailor

Nice ID on that one, I thought that was a bridge in the background.....

At least I was partially correct as the Base had a short life from July 1969 and was operated as a joint US/VNN base which was then turned over to the VNN under ACTOV in April 1971

The intermediate support base was commissioned in July 1969 as Naval Support Activity Saigon, Detachment Ben Luc. By September of that year, 812 men worked at the installation and occasionally as many as seventy vessels tied up or anchored in the river.
As part of the Vietnamization of the war, the Vietnamese Navy relieved U.S. naval forces of control of the Giant Slingshot operation in May 1970. In April of the following year the turnover process was completed when Ben Luc and the ATSBs on both rivers were turned over to the Republic of Vietnam.
Great patch and certainly a rare one, thanks for shedding light on it.

River Patrol

Thanks for the detailed history which I forgot to add.

The Advanced Tactical Support Bases (ATSBs) seem to be more well known over these Intermediate Bases.