Collection from Italy: #2 P-38 Pilot, Tropical Environment

BlueBookGuy

BlueBookGuy

Now, something for the AAF :D :D

P-38 pilot, late 1944, 13th Air Force, Morotai Island.

(continued )...

post-151851-0-99596200-1394039994.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Will post more decent pics of course - some small issues in re-sizing my photos.

Mannequinn airbrushed in "tanned" skin color, and a bit of unshaved beard added. This guy still retains the more USN-oriented shoulder holster for the S&W .38 revolver, could be an uncommon instance more than a true error. Not a bad display after all, one day or another I will exchange this for the Corsair pilot's M-3 .l45 holster and vice-versa.

AN-H-15 summer helmet is without its built-in radio receivers, so I put on it a standard AAF HS-38 set. Copied from the photo of Capt. Haning of 475th Fighter Group. Complete parachute is a Pioneer B-8 backpack-style, with attached seat cushion and (after many years) a complete C-2 Raft Pack.

The wound in left forearm was... treated with a original bandage from First Aid Kit :D

(continued)

BlueBookGuy

Life Vest is a B-3, still used by many airmen even in late 1944. Summer helmet without built-in earphones is made by Selby Shoes Company.

post-151851-0-93273400-1394048215.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Correct USAF extension for the PL-354 red plug of HS-33 radio set. Flight Gloves are the summer pattern B-3, somehow faded (this subvariant was deep brown when new).

Safety lanyard from the inner container (the raft, actually) of C-2 Raft Kit is clipped to right-side ring of B-3 Life Vest. Cushion also is visible.

(continued..)

post-151851-0-21501300-1394048394.jpg

BlueBookGuy

"Combat wound" in left side forearm is "treated" of course, with original bandages from his First Aid Kit :rolleyes:

post-151851-0-88766500-1394052165.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Another view. Pouch at waist belt has some original Emergency items, including "Blood Chit" of Washington design and Hershey's Chocolade.

post-151851-0-52163400-1394052411.jpg

That's a great looking mannequin. (BTW...those are Army '44 pattern goggles, not aviators' B8s...but you probably knew that anyway? ;) ) Fantastic display!

BlueBookGuy

Hello Sabrejet, possibly might I have caused a bit confusion when mentioning the B-8 (referring to parachute) in post #7 I believe? Yes goggles are Army pattern 1944, not B-8.

Among others, they miss the nosebridge-covering extension of frame padding.

Glad you like it!!

good looking set up but might I make a suggestion, switch shoulder holsters. The shoulder holster you have here is for the .38 Victory which is a standard navy sidearm and the .45 auto AAF. Also kill the navy dye marker its not very accurate.

I like the modified C-2 raft, its a first production case that has had the snap clips reversed. This would have been the version used first in theatre and very accurate.

BlueBookGuy

Hi Dustin, photo was takev several years ago and that Navy dye marker has already gone, just on that other F4U pilot. The one at lower right of B-3 Vest is cemented.

Cushion looks to be from a AN-6510 series seat 'chutes. The C-2 pack is indeed a great piece!!

BlueBookGuy

AAF emblem printed on sleeve of AN-S-31 summer kakhi suit. The US flag was perhaps printed on oilcloth-type fabric, subsequently sewn on.

post-151851-0-70607600-1394234426.jpg